HB 724 Timeline
HB 724 was enacted by the 83rd Legislature. It creates a commission to study unclaimed land grant mineral proceeds. The following are significant dates for action.
December 31, 2013
Commission members appointed by:
- Governor - six members with one designated as presiding officer of the commission
- Lieutenant Governor - serve or appoint two designees
- Speaker of the House - serve or appoint two designees
- General Land Office Commissioner - serve or appoint two designees
- Comptroller - serve or appoint two designees
- Texas Historical Commission Executive Director - serve or appoint two designees
- State Historian - serve or appoint one designee
December 1, 2014
The commission shall work to determine the amount of unclaimed original land grant mineral proceeds delivered to the Comptroller, if any, that remain unclaimed.
January 1, 2015
The commission shall provide to the governor, lieutenant governor, and speaker of the house of representatives a final report on unclaimed original land grant mineral proceeds that must include:
- The amount of unclaimed original land grant mineral proceeds determined to have been delivered to the Comptroller that remains unclaimed on Dec. 1, 2014.
- Recommendations for efficient and effective procedures under which the state may be required to:
- determine the owners of the proceeds;
- notify the owners of the proceeds; and
- distribute the proceeds to the owners.
- Proposed legislation necessary to implement the recommendations made in the final report.
- Any administrative recommendations proposed by the commission.
- A complete explanation of each of the commission's recommendations.
June 1, 2015
The act expires and the Unclaimed Mineral Proceeds Commission will be abolished.
HB 724 Timeline also available as a PDF document (PDF, 60KB).
Mineral Proceeds Claims also available as a PDF document (PDF, 341KB).