Reminder to Dyed Diesel Fuel Bonded
Users Recordkeeping Requirements
As a licensed dyed diesel fuel bonded user, you are required by law to keep detailed records of your purchases and uses for both dyed and undyed (clear) diesel fuel.
Your records must show the number of gallons of dyed and undyed diesel fuel:
- inventories on hand at the first of each month;
- purchased or received, showing the name of the seller and the date of each purchase or receipt;
- delivered into the fuel supply tanks of motor vehicles;
- used in off-highway equipment or for other nonhighway purposes and supported by invoices or distribution logs (see below); and
- lost by fire, theft, or accident.
Invoices: Invoices must have the seller's stamped or preprinted name and address, the name of the purchaser, and, for each delivery, the date and the number of gallons of dyed or undyed diesel fuel. The invoice must show either the actual amount of tax or a notation that the price includes tax, as well as a description of the off-highway equipment or licensed motor vehicle. If you use invoices to record removals from your bulk storage, your name will show on the invoice as both seller and purchaser.
Distribution Logs: If you use a distribution log to record removals from your bulk storage, the log must include your stamped or preprinted name and address and, for each delivery, the date and the number of gallons of dyed or undyed diesel fuel. You must sign each delivery noted in the log. For deliveries to off-highway equipment, the log should give a description of the equipment, or if the delivery was to a licensed motor vehicle, the log should show the license plate or vehicle identification number and the odometer or hubmeter reading.