IN THIS ISSUE...
Roundtable Discussion Coming Soon
Rules – Proposed and Withdrawn
Includes recent messages sent to subscribers on various tax-related topics and issues.
We Value Your Feedback!
Please help us by completing our quick online survey on electronic reporting and filing of taxes. This survey contains only seven short questions and should take you less than two minutes to complete.
The Comptroller’s office publishes this online newsletter to keep you informed about Texas taxes and what’s happening in the Tax Policy Division. Tax Policy News provides general information and is not a substitute for legal or other professional advice.
ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS COMING SOON
Sales Tax – Vending Machine Sales Located on School Campuses
The Tax Policy Division will host a sales tax roundtable discussion on the sale of food, soft drinks and candy through vending machines on school campuses. The division will post registration information online as soon as the date has been set.
Sales Tax Holiday is August 8, 9 and 10!
This year’s annual sales tax holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, August 8 and ends at midnight on Sunday, August 10. During this three-day period, Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes on purchases of school supplies, clothing and most backpacks priced under $100.
Presentations by the Tax Policy Division
Members of the Tax Policy Division often receive requests to discuss taxability issues with various interested organizations.
Recent events include these presentations:
- Cross-Border Commercial Vehicle Operations Conference in Laredo – An overview of the International Fuel Tax Agreement, the International Registration Plan and the current requirements for transportation companies wanting to operate between Texas and Mexico. Attendees included U.S. and Mexico federal government transportation officials, U.S. and Mexico state government officials, and U.S. and Mexico domiciled ground transportation companies.
- 2014 Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants Nonprofit Organizations Conference in Dallas – The presentation included a discussion of Sales and Use Tax rules as they relate to nonprofit entities.
- Oil, Gas, Fuels and Miscellaneous Taxes Section personnel toured the Dallas Area Rapid Transit compressed natural gas and liquefied natural gas refueling facility.
Hotel Occupancy Tax
The Comptroller revised the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (Form 12-302) to clarify hotel tax exemptions between state and local taxing authorities and permanent residents.
Franchise Tax Credit for Qualified Research and Development Activities
The Comptroller created a new Web page to explain the new law that allows taxable entities engaged in qualified research (as defined by Internal Revenue Code, Section 41) to claim either a franchise tax credit based on qualified research expenses or a sales and use tax exemption on the purchase, lease, rental, storage or use of depreciable tangible personal property directly used in qualified research.
RULES – PROPOSED AND WITHDRAWN
State Sales and Use Tax
Amendments to the following rules will be proposed for public comment through the Texas Register on May 30, 2014. The comment period ends 30 days after publication.
- Rule 3.334 – Local Sales and Use Taxes
- Rule 3.345 – Annual Refund Program for Providers of Cable Television, Internet Access, or Telecommunications Services
Information about proposed rules is available on the Secretary of State’s website.
Motor Fuel Tax
A withdrawal notice for the proposed amendment to Rule 3.430, Records Required; Information Required, will be proposed in the May 30, 2014, issue of the Texas Register. The original proposal was published in the March 14, 2014, issue of the Texas Register.
Need More Information?
- Practitioners’ Corner – a one-stop resource for information about filing and paying taxes, links to tax research sources and searchable databases
- Texas Taxes – links to specific web pages on taxes and fees
- Change Mailing Address/Phone Number
- Request Tax Certificates/Tax Clearance Letters
- Sign up to be notified when website pages of interest to you are updated.