The Comptroller's office offers the opportunity to satisfy certain sales tax filing requirements by phone. TeleFile takes the place of filing a paper return for those with no taxable sales to report.[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Use TeleFile to:
- File your short form sales tax report (form 01-117) if you have zero taxable sales and zero tax due. Short form filers may use TeleFile even if total sales are greater than zero if no taxes are due.
- File your long form sales tax report (form 01-114). You must have zero total sales, zero taxable sales and zero tax due to use TeleFile as a long-form filer.
- File your past due sales tax report if you received an estimated billing but had no sales for that period.
- Change your filing status from monthly to quarterly, or quarterly to yearly (you'll receive notification from us if you qualify to change your filing status).
To use TeleFile, you need to know:
- your 11-digit Texas taxpayer number
- how often you file (monthly, quarterly or yearly)
- what period you are filing for (TeleFile will give you detailed instructions on entering the filing period, or you can look at box d on your paper return for the current period)
- total sales (if filing long form, must be zero)
- taxable sales (must be zero)
- your telephone number.
At the end of the call, you will receive a confirmation number as documentation that you have satisfied filing requirements for the period. You will be able to file for multiple periods and will be directed to a Web site where you can make other changes to your account, such as updating your mailing address, closing a business location or closing your sales tax account altogether.
TeleFile is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have difficulty with the system, your call will be transferred to our tax specialist call center, which is available during normal business hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I file by TeleFile?
- TeleFile guarantees that the data you report updates to our system electronically. TeleFile eliminates the need for you to file a paper return. TeleFile saves time and money by avoiding the costs of processing paper returns. After you have filed electronically (TeleFile or WebFile) twice, we will no longer send paper returns to you.
- What is my filing type?
- Filing type refers to the frequency of filing - whether you file monthly, quarterly or yearly. If you are filing for the current period, you can find your filing type on the preprinted tax report you received from our office, in box d. Filing type is confidential information so you must provide this information when you TeleFile. If you don't know how frequently you file, you can call us at (800) 252-5555 or send us an e-mail.
- How do I enter the filing period using TeleFile?
- For a yearly report, enter the two-digit year that represents the year for which you are filing. (For example, enter 09 for 2009.)
For a quarterly report, enter a three-digit number. The first two digits represent the year for which you are filing; the third digit represents the quarter. The quarters are based on a calendar year:
First quarter: January - March
Second quarter: April - June
Third quarter: July - September
Fourth quarter: October - December
For example, if you are filing a report for April - June of 2009, you will enter 092 at the prompt.
For a monthly report, you will enter a four-digit number. The first two digits represent the year for which you are filing; the third and fourth digits represent the month. For example, if you are filing a report for August of 2009, you will enter 0908 at the prompt.
- What is the difference between short form and long form filers?
- Short form filers have one active location and do not report local sales taxes for jurisdictions outside their business location; long form filers have multiple active locations, or have one location but report local sales tax for multiple jurisdictions.
- Are there limitations on how many old reports I can file via TeleFile?
- Yes. Yearly filers can file two years' worth of old returns. Quarterly filers can file four quarters back. Monthly filers can file returns that were due within the past six months.
- What happens if I make errors while TeleFiling?
- If you make an error while TeleFiling (for example, you keyed your taxpayer number incorrectly), the system will give you two opportunities to correct that error. On the third attempt, the system will take one of two actions: During normal business hours (7:30 am - 5:30 pm), your call will be routed to a tax specialist in our Tax Policy Division. Outside normal business hours, you will be given the number to call for assistance when the office reopens.
- I called the TeleFile number using my touch-tone phone and received an error message. What am I doing wrong?
- On some "touch-tone" phones, there is a button for you to select the "pulse" or "touch-tone" option. Both use the keypad, but TeleFile only works when the "touch-tone" option is selected.
- If I TeleFile, do I still need to send in paper copies of the return?
- No. Filing by TeleFile, as long as you complete the call (you will hear a confirmation number at the end), satisfies your filing requirements for a no-tax-due sales tax report.
Thank you for using TeleFile!