|14-202||Texas Claim for Refund of Motor Vehicle Tax|
Motor Vehicle Sales Tax Refunds
All taxpayers must provide the following information when requesting a refund of taxes paid in error directly from the Comptroller's office:
- signed letter stating fully and in detail the reason for the refund claim;
- the amount of refund requested;
- date when the tax was erroneously paid;
- taxpayer name and number; and
- Power of Attorney (01-137) or other written authorization, if being represented by an authorized agent.
Send tax refund requests to:Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
111 E. 17th Street
Austin, TX 78774-0100
The party that paid the tax in error should submit the refund claim on form 14-202 (Texas Claim for Refund of Motor Vehicle Tax, Diesel Motor Vehicle Surcharge, and/or Commercial Vehicle Registration Surcharge). For example, if a dealer made an error in registering the vehicle and is willing to provide a signed statement as to the error and the buyer paid the tax, the buyer can submit the refund claim.
For refund information for Motor Vehicle Taxes, call us at (800) 531-5441, ext. 3-4545.