Holiday Hours
Quick Start for:

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Refunds

All taxpayers must provide the following information when requesting a refund of taxes paid in error directly from the Comptroller's office:

  • " Original or amended Texas International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Report, form 56-101 and IFTA Fuel Tax Report Supplement, form 56-102;
  • " the amount of refund requested;
  • Power of Attorney (01-137) or other written authorization, if being represented by an authorized agent.

Send tax refund requests to:

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
111 E. 17th Street
Austin, TX 78774-0100


The credit on an IFTA return (form 56-101) can be refunded when the report is filed or it can be carried forward and the credit applied to a liability in a later reporting period. If you would like to have the credit refunded to you, fill in line #11, "Amount to be refunded," on the IFTA return.

If you allow the credit to be carried forward, be sure to verify the actual amount in your records before taking the credit on a subsequent return. The amount of credit pre-printed on returns is based on information that is available at the time of printing and may not be accurate and up-to-date.

A credit must be used or claimed for refund within eight calendar quarters after the calendar quarter in which the credit is earned. For example, if a credit accrues in the 3rd quarter, 2005, the licensee has until October 1, 2007, to request a refund or to apply the credit toward a liability.

For refund information related to IFTA, please call (800) 531-5441, ext. 3-3678.

Required Plug-ins