Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Glenn Hegar

skip navigation

Hotel Occupancy Tax Refunds

All taxpayers must provide the following information when requesting a refund of taxes paid in error directly from the Comptroller's office:

  • signed letter stating fully and in detail the reason for the refund claim;
  • the amount of refund requested;
  • date when the tax was erroneously paid (begin and end date of the period);
  • copy of the invoice(s) or guest folio(s);
  • taxpayer name and number; and
  • Power of Attorney (01-137) or other written authorization, if being represented by an authorized agent.

Send tax refund requests to:

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
111 E. 17th Street
Austin, TX 78774-0100

If you are not registered for hotel tax:

Non-registered taxpayers must also include their Social Security number or Federal Employer Identification (FEI) number, as well as a completed "Assignment of Right to Refund" (form 00-985) signed by the hotel. An assignment form must be provided for each hotel to which tax was paid in error.

If you are registered for hotel tax:

Taxes erroneously collected are to be refunded by the hotel. The hotel, after refunding the tax to the guest, may request a refund by amending the return in which hotel tax was paid or by adjusting taxable room receipts on a current hotel tax report to receive credit for taxes paid the state. A brief explanation should be included with the report.

For refund information for Hotel Tax, please call 1-800-531-5441, ext. 3-4545. The direct number in Austin is 512-463-4545.

Required Plug-ins

In 2015, the Texas Legislature passed House Bill 855, which requires state agencies to publish a list of the three most commonly used Web browsers on their websites. The Texas Comptroller’s most commonly used Web browsers are Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Apple Safari.