FAQ's for Instructor Approval
- How do I find out if someone is an approved instructor?
Please see the list of approved educational course instructors indicating expiration dates on the Comptroller's website.
- How do I become approved as an educational course instructor?
Please review the Comptroller of Public Accounts, Property Tax Assistance Division, Instructor Approval Procedures and complete and submit the Application for Educational Course Instructor (PDF, 216KB).
- How do I find out if I am eligible to become an education course instructor?
Please review the Comptroller of Public Accounts, Property Tax Assistance Division, Instructor Approval Procedures.
- How long is an instructor approval valid?
Instructor approval is valid for four years at which time reapplication and approval is required to remain an instructor.
- Will PTAD verify the courses I have taught over the prior four years to certification renewal?
Yes. PTAD will verify the courses listed in the renewal application using evaluations received for the instructor during the expiring approval period.
- Are students required to complete evaluations of instructors at the end of educational courses?
Yes. Educational course sponsors are required to request students complete Instructor Observation and Evaluation Forms and return them to PTAD at P.O. Box 13528, Austin, Texas 78711-3528. In the absence of a sponsor, the instructor is responsible for returning the forms.
- What do I do if the sponsor does not provide evaluations with the course materials?
It is up to the instructor to ensure Instructor Observation and Evaluation Forms are completed and returned to PTAD at P.O. Box 13528, Austin, Texas 78711-3528 to maintain their record of instruction.
- How far back are evaluations reviewed?
Evaluations will be reviewed for the four-year approval period.
- Is an approved instructor approved to teach all courses?
No. Instructor approval is based on topic. Please see the list of approved educational course instructors indicating topics allowed for each approved instructor on the Comptroller’s website.
- What happens if a course is taught by someone not approved to teach that topic?
The course may not be valid for certification or CE credit.
- If I am an approved instructor and I want to add another topic to my approved list do I have to go through the trainee requirements for that course?
Approved instructors adding a topic to their approval list do not have to meet the instructor training course requirement or the 25 percent co-teaching requirement. However, if the course has not been taken in the last five years, the course must be taken and the exam passed.
- Can any instructor teach a property tax laws course?
No. Only a person with a Doctor of Jurisprudence may teach a property tax law course. A person who has attained a Doctor of Jurisprudence and has five years of experience in property tax law and currently is involved in the practice or administration of property tax law is exempt from the trainee instructor requirements.
- Is an approved instructor required to teach the 7-hour USPAP refresher course?
Instructor evaluations are not required for the 7-hour USPAP refresher used for continuing education purposes. Instructor evaluations are required for 15-hour USPAP course used for certification.
- How does adding a topic to my approval list affect the expiration date?
An additional approved topic will be added to the list, but be given the same expiration date as other approved topics. This allows for one common renewal date for an instructor to submit reapplication.
- Do instructors get CE credit for the courses they teach?
TDLR makes this determination. Please see TDLR's website or email them with any additional questions regarding TDLR processes at email@example.com.
- Does “a course on the subject matter to be taught” refer to the course orientation?
No. The course orientation is provided to the instructor by the course developer as a tool to familiarize the instructor with the materials. It refers to a course on the topic to be submitted for instructor approval.
- Does the Comptroller’s office offer an instructor training course?
At this time, the Comptroller’s office does not offer an instructor training course. There is no specific course designated to meet this requirement and the applicant may take an instructor course of his or her choice.
- Can I do the co-teaching of a course at the same time that I take the course to meet the requirement for taking the course and passing the exam?
No. The course must be taken and the exam passed before co-teaching the course.
- Do I have to complete the instructor training before my co-teaching?
No. Due to availability and timing of courses and instructor training programs, PTAD allows these requirements to be completed in any order.
- Do instructors have any additional CE requirements other than those of a regular TDLR registrant?
Approved instructors are required to attain the CE credits required by TDLR and eight (8) hours of instructor professional development and an orientation or update of the course to be taught every four years.
- What happens if an instructor retires and no longer holds one of the professional designations?
An instructor who no longer has a professional designation must reapply and continue to obtain the CE training required by someone actively holding the designation. Please see Comptroller of Public Accounts, Property Tax Assistance Division, Instructor Approval Procedures for more information.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at PTPCE@cpa.state.tx.us or by phone at (800) 252-9121 and ask to speak to Shannon Murphy.