Christmas and New Year’s Holiday Hours

Quick Start for:

Educational Course Approval
Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Are educational courses pertaining to RPA or RTA certifications still approved?
    PTAD is required to approve all certification or core courses. Please see the list of approved certification courses and the expiration date of approval on the Comptroller's website.
  2. How is an educational course approved?
    Please refer to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Property Tax Assistance Division, Educational Course Approval Program Policies and Procedures, complete the Educational Course - Approval Request and the Checklist for Submission of Educational Course for Approval Review. Course approval requests and materials must be submitted to PTAD 90 days in advance of delivery date.
  3. Can educational courses cover any topic?
    Educational courses must deal with one of the following topics: 1) appraisal standards and methodology; 2) tax assessment and collection practices; 3) ethics; 4) laws and rules, including legislative updates; 5) Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP); or 6) customer service.
  4. What qualifies for customer service?
    Customer service programs are defined as "programs designed to enhance services to and improve relationships with the public." This typically does not include professional development programs, but might include programs on communication development.
  5. Can I take certification or core courses for CE credit?
    Yes. The list of approved core courses includes the number of CE credits for each.
  6. Can I get credit for taking a course from the IAAO, TAF or AI?
    Yes. Under Property Tax Code Section 5.05, the Comptroller's office may approve publications relating to the appraisal of property and the administration of taxes, "including materials published by The Appraisal Foundation (TAF), the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO), or other professionally recognized organizations, for use in the administration of property taxes." PTAD approved all courses offered by or through TAF, IAAO and the Appraisal Institute (AI) for CE credit for the number of continuing education hours assigned by TAF, IAAO or AI, as applicable.
  7. Do end-of-course exams count for CE credits?
    No. CE is earned for course work only. CEs will be granted for taking the class, regardless of whether the examination is taken, passed or failed.
  8. Can I get CE credit for taking a review course for a level exam?
    At this time, no review courses have been submitted for CE approval.
  9. What happened to the previously offered electives?
    PTAD approves only educational courses required for certification purposes. Several of the previously-required courses are no longer required under the new TDLR rules. However, they can be submitted for approval as continuing education programs.
  10. What do I do if I want to have a course added to the certification requirements for one of the TDLR certifications?
    You may contact TDLR at with your request. Certification requirements are part of TDLR's rules and PTAD does not have authority of them.
  11. Are students required to complete evaluations of instructors at the end of educational courses?
    Yes. Educational course sponsors are required to request students complete Instructor Observation and Evaluation Forms and return them to PTAD at P.O. Box 13528, Austin, Texas 78711-3528. In the absence of a sponsor, the instructor is responsible for returning the forms.

If you have additional questions, please contact us at or by phone at (800) 252-9121 and ask to speak to Shannon Murphy.

Required Plug-ins