Christmas and New Year’s Holiday Hours

Quick Start for:

Continuing Education Program Approval
Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I apply for approval of continuing education programs?
    Please complete the Continuing Education Program - Approval Form (PDF, 139KB) located on the Comptroller's website. Please follow the instructions for completing the form and submitting the appropriate materials. The Comptroller's Property Tax Assistance Division (PTAD) will forward the form approving or disapproving the program to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) for awarding continuing education (CE) credit hours.
  2. How do I find out if a program was approved and, if so, for how many CEs?
    PTAD will notify you of approval of your continuing education program and CEs.
  3. Does every topic we submit for credit in a program count for CE?
    Only programs dealing with the following topics will be considered for approval of CE credit: 1) appraisal standards and methodology; 2) tax assessment and collection practices; 3) ethics-general; 4) ethics-chief appraiser; 5) laws and rules, including legislative updates; 6) Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP); 7) customer service; and 8) state-required laws and rules update.
  4. What qualifies for customer service?
    Customer service programs are defined as "programs designed to enhance services to and improve relationships with the public." This typically does not include professional development programs, but might include programs on communication development.
  5. What is the difference between the laws and rules and state-required laws and rules update categories?
    The state-required laws and rules update is based on legislation passed every two years and is a specific CE requirement for TDLR certification renewal. The laws and rules category encompasses all laws and rules applicable to property tax professionals and may be applied to the number of general CE's required for TDLR certification renewal.
  6. What is the difference between ethics – general and ethics – chief appraiser?
    The general category includes programs related to ethics behavior generally. The ethics – chief appraiser category is specific to programs that include the importance of maintaining the independence of an appraisal office from political pressure.
  7. What do you mean when you ask for program materials?
    They are a timed agenda and a description of each topic for which you are requesting CE credit.
  8. How long does it take to have CEs approved?
    PTAD requires your request and accompanying materials be submitted no later than 30 calendar days prior to the date of the event. PTAD will notify TDLR at least 10 days prior to the program date for its determination. Typically, you will receive notice within two weeks of submission, depending on workload.
  9. How long is the program approval valid?
    CE program approval is good for one year from the approval date. CE programs are not automatically renewed.
  10. How do I renew a CE program that is expiring?
    Before expiration, complete the Continuing Education Program - Approval Form (PDF, 139KB) located on the Comptroller's website, indicate it is a renewal in the description, and attach a copy of the PTAD approved form from the expiring program that was executed indicating approval the previous year.
  11. Who do I contact to turn in CEs for individuals who attended an event?
    You must apply with TDLR to become a registered CE provider. Registered CE providers report CE credits of attendees to TDLR online through their website. Please see TDLR's website or email them with any additional questions regarding TDLR processes at
  12. Can I get CE credit approved for a program that has already occurred?
    The request form and program materials must be submitted to PTAD at least 30 calendar days prior to the date of the event.
  13. If I submit my request less than 30 days ahead of schedule, what happens?
    The program risks not receiving approval because of deadlines for notifying TDLR.
  14. Can I get CE credit for International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) and other professional organizations' educational courses?
    Pursuant to Tax Code Section 5.05, the Comptroller's office has approved all educational courses and CE programs developed and approved by The Appraisal Foundation (TAF), IAAO and the Appraisal Institute for CE credit for the number of CE hours assigned by the organizations. CE programs from other professional organizations are subject to the 30-day submission and program approval process.
  15. If I take a USPAP course or program from IAAO, TAF or the Appraisal Institute will it count for my certification or continuing education requirement?
    PTAD has approved all educational courses and CE programs developed and approve by TAF, IAAO and AI. TDLR must determine whether or not to accept it for one of their specific requirements.
  16. Do I send my certificate to PTAD?
    No. Certificates from programs and courses taken through IAAO, TAF or the Appraisal Institute are sent directly to TDLR.
  17. What is the difference between an "educational course" and a "program?"
    "Educational courses" refers to courses required for initial classification and/or certification in accordance with TDLR's classification system for property tax professional registrants and courses of greater than two days in duration for which continuing education credit may be obtained. "Programs" are short-term workshops, seminars, forums and other presentations that do not last more than two days and are taken for CE credit.
  18. Do I file a separate form for each program within an event such as a conference?
    One CE approval form may be submitted for the event, but each program will be awarded credit separately. This is necessary for events with concurrent programs scheduled throughout. For example, a conference may have three optional programs delivered concurrently, but a registrant will only receive CE credit for the program attended.
  19. How do I determine the total program length?
    Total program length should include the total of all programs, including the time for every concurrent program. This is not the number of days or length of the event or total eligible per registrant.
  20. Is an approved instructor required to teach a CE program?
    No. Approved instructors are required only for educational courses and not for programs. Anyone may teach a CE program. State-required laws and rules updates and USPAP CE programs also do not require an approved instructor.
  21. How are CE hours calculated?
    PTAD approves CE credit on an hour-for-hour basis for programs that submit timed agendas including breaks and lunches. Programs with timed agendas that do not indicate breaks and/or lunches will be approved as 50 minutes of CE credit for every 60 minutes of actual class time and rounds up to the quarter credit.
  22. If I take an educational course for CE credit do I have to take the exam to receive the credit?
    No. CE credit hours are applied to the course and review, but not the exam.
  23. If I take an educational course for CE credit and take the exam, do I get additional CE credit for taking the exam?
    No. CE credit hours are applied to the course and review, but not the exam.
  24. Can I take a portion of a course on property tax law to count as the state-required laws and rules update course required every two years to maintain certification?
    No. The state-required laws and rules update course is based on legislation passed every two years. Accordingly, criteria for the legislative update is determined by what bills are passed.
  25. Can I submit a certificate from a course or program I took that is not pre-approved by PTAD?
    PTAD does not approve CE based on a certificate for individuals. The provider of the course or program must submit it to PTAD for approval 30 days prior to delivery.

If you have additional questions, please contact us at or by phone at (800) 252-9121 and ask to speak to Shannon Murphy.

Required Plug-ins