Texas Franchise Tax – Which Forms Should I File?
You must file these forms, even if no tax is due:
- a Franchise Tax Report (No Tax Due, EZ Computation or Long Form) and
- an Information Report (Public Information Report (PDF, 292KB) or Ownership Information Report (PDF, 141KB)).
You must file additional forms if you:
- take any credits on your report;
- file as a tiered partnership; or
- file as a combined group.
No Tax Due Report
You can file a Form 05-163, No Tax Due Report (PDF, 154KB) if you are:
- a passive entity as defined in Texas Tax Code Section 171.0003;
- an entity that has total annualized revenue less than or equal to the no tax due threshold (see rate information for current threshold amount);
- an entity that has zero Texas gross receipts; or
- an entity that is a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) meeting the qualifications specified in Texas Tax Code Section 171.0002(c)(4).
All No Tax Due Reports originally due on or after Jan. 1, 2016, must be filed online.
EZ Computation Report
You can file using the Form 05-169, EZ Computation Report (PDF, 221KB) if you are an entity with annualized total revenue of $20 million or less for reports originally due on or after Jan. 1, 2016 ($10 million or less for reports originally due before Jan. 1, 2016).
Taxable entities that file using the EZ Computation Report pay tax on apportioned total revenue and cannot:
- take a margin deduction (cost of goods sold, compensation, 30 percent of total revenue or $1 million);
- take any credits; or
- carry over the year's temporary credit for business loss carryforward to a future period.
You must file Form 05-158, Long Form (PDF, 460KB) if you do not file using the EZ Computation Report or the No Tax Due Report.
You may be required to file one of the following forms along with the Long Form:
- Form 05-160, Credits Summary Schedule (PDF, 220KB) – required if you are claiming or carrying forward any credits or installments
- Form 05-178, Research and Development Activities Credits Schedule (PDF, 158KB) – required if you are creating or claiming a research and development activities credit
- Form 05-180, Historic Structure Credit Supplement for Credit Claimed on Report (PDF, 83KB) – required if you are claiming a historic structure credit
Additional Report Forms
Check this list to see if you must file one of these forms along with your No Tax Due, EZ Computation or Long Form:
- Information Report – you must file one of the following two forms:
- Form 05-102, Public Information Report (PDF, 292KB) – required if you are a corporation, LLC, limited partnership, professional association or financial institution
- Form 05-167, Ownership Information Report (PDF, 141KB) – required for all other entities
- Form 05-166, Affiliate Schedule (PDF, 209KB) – required if you are filing as a combined group
- Form 05-175, Tiered Partnership Report (PDF, 133KB) – required if you are filing as a tiered partnership
- Form 05-177, Common Owner Information Report (PDF, 464KB) – required if you are filing as a combined group and the combined group has a temporary credit for business loss carryforward, even if you are not claiming the credit in the current year
- Form 05-170, Payment Form (PDF, 122KB) – required if you owe tax and did not remit the tax electronically