EDI for Sales and Use Tax
Save time and money by using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to file your tax information. EDI is a fast and efficient standard for communicating business data electronically. EDI is designed for businesses reporting large number of outlets, leases, schedules or authorities.
The Comptroller's office provides software to monthly and quarterly taxpayers for filing sales tax returns electronically.
What the Software Does
The program enables you to enter your tax data and create a file in approved EDI format. The software cannot be used to print out returns and mail them to us in lieu of the preprinted form.
Requirements for using version 6.1
- Minimum system requirements:
- 166Mhz PC
- Windows NT, XP, 2000, 2003, and 7
- 64 MB RAM
- 60 MB of hard drive space
- Internet access
To file a return using this software you must complete the testing process to receive an approval email from this office to file electronically.
Downloading and Installing
- Important Notice: Users Should Save a Copy of Their Databases Prior to Upgrading EDI Software.
- For Version 6.0, Stax6.db is located in C:\ProgramData\TexasCPA\Stax6
- For Version 5.0, Stax5.db is located in C:\STAX5
- Download the free software (EXE, 26.2 MB) to your Desktop or a folder of your choice.
- Quit all Windows applications before installing the software.
- Once the download is complete, go to the Desktop or open the folder in which you saved the software and double click on the staxfull.exe file to install the software.
- Follow the screen prompts until the installation is complete.
Entering Data and Filing Your Tax
The Sales Tax Quick Reference Guide (PDF, 860KB) contains complete instructions.
The software includes a help system that works best with Internet Explorer 4.0 or greater. You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from Microsoft's Web site.
Transmit your completed EDI file to the Comptroller via the Web.
Keeping Your Tax Rate Files Up-to-Date
Sales tax rates change periodically as taxing authorities (cities, counties, mass transit authorities and special purpose districts) adopt, reduce or eliminate local taxes. These changes become effective quarterly. To ensure that your balances and billings are computed correctly, you must download the current tax rates.
Support Higher Education
You can contribute all or part of your timely filing discount to the TEXAS Grant and Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Programs. To contribute, mail the contribution form (PDF, 33 KB) with your donation. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download the latest version to view and print this form.
For More Information
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Call us at 1-800-442-3453 or
Fax us at 512-936-0008 or
Mail your request toAccount Maintenance Division
P.O. Box 13528
Austin, Texas 78711-3528