EDI for IFTA
Save time and money by using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to file your tax information. EDI is a fast and efficient standard for communicating business data electronically.
The Comptroller’s office provides free software to quarterly taxpayers for filing IFTA tax returns electronically.
What the Software Does
The program enables you to enter your tax data and create a file in approved EDI format. The software cannot be used to print out returns and mail them to us in lieu of the preprinted form.
Requirements for using version 4.2
- 166MHz PC
- Windows NT, XP, 2000, 2003, 7 and 8
- 256MB RAM
- 80MB of hard drive space
- Internet access
Downloading and Installing
- Important Notice: Users Should Save a Copy of Their Databases Prior to Upgrading EDI Software.
- If you are reporting less than 30 jurisdictions or states, consider filing using WebFile.
- For Version 4.0, IFTA4.db is located in C:\ProgramData\TexasCPA\Ifta4
- For Version 3.0, IFTA.db is located in C:\IFTA
- Download the free software (29.7MB) to your Desktop or a folder of your choice.
- Once the download is complete, go to the Desktop or open the folder in which you saved the software and double click on the iftafull.exe file to install the software.
- Follow the screen prompts until the installation is complete.
Entering Data and Filing Your Tax
The IFTA Quick Reference Guide (PDF, 253 KB) contains complete instructions.
A test return must be submitted to receive approval to file production returns.
The software includes a help system that works best with Internet Explorer 4.0 or greater. You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from Microsoft's website.
Transmit your completed EDI file to the Comptroller via the Web.
Keeping Your Tax Rate Files Up-to-Date
IFTA tax rates change periodically as states adopt, reduce or eliminate fuels taxes. These changes become effective quarterly.
To ensure that your balances and billings are computed correctly, the software will prompt you to update your tax rates quarterly. If you experience any issues with downloading the tax rate or need the file for manual upload, please request the tax rate table by phone or by email.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Call us at 1-800-442-3453