Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
Required Software Update: New EDI software must be downloaded to continue to submit payments electronically
You can save time and money by using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to transmit your tax information. EDI is designed for businesses reporting large number of outlets, leases, schedules or authorities. EDI is the electronic exchange of routine business data. It works because it relies on a standard system (813) developed under the guidelines of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the Accredited Standards Committee (ASCX12).
Who can file EDI?
Taxpayers and tax professionals filing monthly or quarterly returns can file EDI returns and make payments electronically. EDI supports the following taxes:
- Sales and Use Tax
- Direct Pay
- Motor Fuels
- Natural Gas and Crude Oil
- International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)
How do I obtain EDI Software?
The Comptroller offers free EDI software or you can purchase EDI software from third party vendors. Please select a link below for information and to download the free EDI software:
Software vendors must submit an application by email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Software Provider Name
- Contact Name
- Contact Telephone number
- Contact Email Address
- Address including City, State, and Zip
- Tax Types (Sales Tax, Motor Fuels, Crude Oil and Natural Gas, IFTA)
Approved software vendors are provided a transmitter number that must be included in the Begin Tax Information (BTI) segment. Software vendors and taxpayers can download the Texas EDI Maps for the ANSI ASC X12 813 transaction set.
Required Registration and Enrollment for EDI Filing
EDI users must complete the EDI Registration and Enrollment Process before submitting production files.
Due Dates and Payments
Electronic filers must comply with established report due dates. Payment may be included with EDI returns. EDI does not support payment only. Please visit WebFile for payment only options.
- EDI returns with payment need to submitted with “Passed” status before 2:30 p.m. (CT) the last banking day before the due date to be considered timely.
- EDI returns without payment must be transmitted with “Passed” status by 11:59 p.m. (CT) on the due date to be considered timely.
Confirmation of Received EDI File
EDI filers transmitting returns to the Comptroller receive a confirmation number upon completion of the transmission. This is not confirmation that the return has been accepted only that the EDI file was received. The automated approval process is available from 4:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (CT) Monday through Friday. During this time EDI files will be reviewed and confirmation emails will be sent within an hour of submission. EDI files received outside of these hours will be reviewed during the next approval process window.
- Files with a “Passed” status have been accepted.
- Files with a “Failed” status must be resubmitted. Please correct errors noted in the email attachment. If you need assistance correcting the file you can contact the Comptroller Electronic Reporting Section at 1-800-442-3453.