Changes Made to Streamline the Crude Oil and Natural Gas Tax Process
We're listening! Based on a series of meetings with the Texas Oil and Gas Association, Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners and other key industry representatives, the Comptroller's office is implementing several changes to help streamline and improve the crude oil and natural gas tax process while still ensuring critical data is accurately collected.
The changes include the following:
- Report errors have been divided into two categories: critical errors and non-critical errors;
- Of the total errors, approximately 22 percent have been downgraded to non-critical errors;
- Credit transfers and refunds may be processed for filing periods that are free of critical errors;
- In accordance with statute, credit interest will be paid on credit transfers and refunds when the period of obligation is free of critical errors; and
- The credit transfer form is being revised to allow more flexibility in providing the credit reason code.
See our frequently asked questions (FAQs) for additional details on these changes and improvements.