Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Glenn Hegar

skip navigation

Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number Online Application

Why Do You Need an Ag/Timber Number?

Since Jan. 1, 2012, a person claiming an agriculture or timber exemption on the purchase of certain items used in the production of agricultural and timber products for sale is required under Texas law to have a Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number (Ag/Timber Number).

To claim the exemption, you must provide the Ag/Timber Number to the seller on the appropriate form. See Publication 94-101 to learn more.

Apply Online

The online application has two parts. First, you will register for a personal login account which creates a secure online profile for you. Once registered, you will directly access the application, which should take about 10 minutes to complete. No signature is required, and we will issue your Ag/Timber Number at the end of the application process.

What You Need Before You Begin:

  • In addition to basic information about your operation, such as business name, description and address, you will need your Social Security number (for internal use only). Businesses registered with the Texas Secretary of State will need to provide the file number as well. You can find it using our Taxable Entity Search.
  • To view your confirmation letter online, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • You can print a copy of your confirmation letter upon completion, or write the Ag/Timber Number down. We will mail you a confirmation letter on the next business day after after you complete the online application.

Register Now

Apply on Paper

If you are unable to apply online, you can apply on paper. The paper application does not require a Social Security number.

You can:

  • download the paper application.
  • call the Comptroller's Fax on Demand service at 1-800-531-1441 to have the paper application faxed to you; or
  • call 1-800-252-5555 to request that an application be mailed to you.

Once complete, mail your application to the address provided on the form. Please allow three to four weeks for us to process paper applications. We will mail a confirmation letter with your Ag/Timber Number to the address you provided.

An Ag/Timber Number may only be used to claim the exemption from Texas sales and use tax on items used exclusively to produce timber products for sale or items used exclusively on a farm or ranch in the production of agricultural products for sale in the regular course of business.

Sign up to receive email updates when this page changes.

Required Plug-ins

In 2015, the Texas Legislature passed House Bill 855, which requires state agencies to publish a list of the three most commonly used Web browsers on their websites. The Texas Comptroller’s most commonly used Web browsers are Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Apple Safari.