Primary Purpose or Benefit of U.S. Dams
Dams have many uses. These are:
- 35% are used for recreation.
- 18% are stock/farm ponds.
- 15% are used for flood control.
- 12% are used for public water supply.
- 11% are used for irrigation.
- 2% are used for hydroelectricity.
- 7% have other uses.
For more information on this exhibit, please contact the Comptroller’s Data Services Division at 512-463-4900 or at P.O. Box 13528, Austin, Texas 78711-3528.
Source: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, National Inventory of Dams.