Texas Specification No. 850-44-01
Effective Date: July 30, 1971
Reformatted: December 15, 1995
DUCK, COTTON CANVAS, NUMBERED
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for unbleached cotton duck cloth and is derived from Federal Specification No. CCC-C-419 (Cloth, Cotton, Duck, Unbleached, Plied-Yarns, Army and Numbered). Note: See Paragraph 11, Product Information, before ordering duck cloth to this specification.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids.
2.1. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS: Superintendent of Documents, U.S.Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402:
2.1.1. Federal Specification - Federal Specification No. CCC-C-419 for Cloth, Cotton, Duck, Unbleached, Plied-Yarns, Army and Numbered.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. COMMISSION: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Cotton duck cloth supplied to this specification shall meet the following minimum requirements:
4.1. YARN: Yarns shall be made from cotton which has been cleaned, carded, drawn, evenly spun, and twisted into plied yarns.
4.2. WIDTH: The width of the cotton duck cloth shall be as specified on the Invitation for Bids. The following width tolerances will be permitted (See Table 1, Width Tolerances):
|Widths||Minimum Variance||Maximum Variance|
|40 inches or less||- 1/4 inch||+ 1/4 inch|
|Over 40 inches to 51 inches, inclusive||- 1/4 inch||+ 3/8 inch|
|Over 51 inches to 81 inches, inclusive||- 3/8 inch||+ 3/8 inch|
|Over 81 inches||- 3/8 inch||+ 3/4 inch|
4.3. WEAVE: The weave shall be plain, one up, one down.
4.4. NON-FIBROUS MATERIAL CONTENT: The cotton duck cloth shall contain not more than two and one-half percent (2.5%) starch and protein material and not more than five percent (5%) total size, finishing, and non-fibrous materials including starch and protein when tested according to Test 6.1.
Note: The use of finishing or loading materials to increase the weight or breaking strength is prohibited and the supplier shall furnish a certificate of compliance with respect to this requirement at the time of bid.
4.5. FIBER IDENTIFICATION: Each piece or roll of cotton duck cloth shall be labeled, ticketed or invoiced for fiber content and accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act effective March 3, 1960.
4.6. WORKMANSHIP: The cotton duck cloth shall conform to the quality and grade of product established by Federal Specification No. CCC-C-419. the occurrence of defects shall not exceed the levels set by the applicable acceptable quality levels of Federal Specification No. CCC-C-419.
4.7. PUT-UP: The cotton duck cloth shall be put-up in accordance with Federal Specification No. PPP-P-1135. One continuous piece of cloth 100 to 125 yards in length shall be supplied in each roll.
4.8. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The cotton duck cloth shall meet the following minimum requirements as listed in Table 2, Physical Requirements, when tested as specified.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
|Number||Physical Requirement||Federal Test Method Standard No. 191 Method Number|
|6 B||Non-Fibrous Material Content||2611.00|
|6 C||Weight per Square Yard||5041.00|
|6 D||Yarns per Inch||5050.00|
|6 E||Breaking Strength||5100.00|
|6 F||Air Permeability||5450.00|
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. PACKING: The cotton duck cloth shall be wound on paper shells having an inside diameter of not less than one and one-half (1-1/2) inches, the shells to be of sturdy construction. Goods on crushed or broken shells will not be accepted. The rolls shall be packed in sturdy cardboard cartons fastened with steel strapping (or wrapped with heavy kraft paper and covered with burlap or equivalent suitable material).
Note: when kraft paper and burlap packaging is employed, a notice of "USE NO HOOKS" shall appear on the burlap of each shipping unit.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
9.1.4 Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Any bid not specifying the exact brand name and lot number of the product shall not be considered. All products shipped shall have an identification ticket attached to the selvage of each piece on which shall appear the manufacturer's name, brand name and lot number.
False or deceptive marking or branding shall be grounds for removing bidder from the State mailing list. Any merchandise shipped unmarked shall be reported immediately to the Commission. Failure on the part of the vendor to immediately provide GSC with a certificate, from the manufacturer, identifying unmarked merchandise will necessitate immediate return, freight collect, of the product.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. PRODUCT INFORMATION: The following recommendations are made as to the proper cotton duck cloth for the purposes shown below:
11.1. Flatwork ironer aprons, 100 inches wide: Order No. 11, 12 or 13.
11.2. Flatwork ironer aprons wider than 100 inches wide: Order No. 6, 9, 11, or 12.
11.3. Heavy duty laundry bags: Order No. 29.
11.4. Other Uses: When cotton duck cloth is desired for uses other than those described above, the using agency should obtain proper recommendations from the supplier of the product involved. After the supplier's recommendation has been obtained, select the proper cotton duck cloth order number form Table 2, Physical Requirements, before ordering to this specification.
11.5. Number Duck: is firmly woven and is the heaviest and strongest cotton fabric made. It is noted for its exceptional strength and wearing qualities and is used for a multitude of purposes, mostly in the gray state.
11.6. Army Duck: is similar to number duck but has finer yarns, higher construction and is usually lighter in weight.
Note: Refer to column two (2) of Table 2, Physical Requirements, for the Commercial Number Designation of each type duck.
12. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
12.1. The number of this specification (850-44-01).
12.2. Order number desired (See Table 2, Physical Requirements).
12.3. Width desired (See Paragraph 4.2.)
12.4. Yardage desired (in multiples of 100 yards). (See Paragraph 00.)
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047
|Yarn Ply||Yarns/Inch||Breaking Strength||Air Permeability|
|(Minimum)||(Minimum)||(Minimum in Pounds)||Ft3/Minn/Ft2|