Texas Specification No. 850-20-08
Effective Date: December 3, 1990
Reformatted: December 18, 1995
CLOTH, COTTON, DRILL (Yard Goods)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a first grade of preshrunk cotton drill cloth to be furnished in four (4) types, as specified.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS: Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 20402:
2.1.1. Federal Standard 191A -- Textile Test Methods.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. COMMISSION: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. CLASSIFICATION: Drill cloth shall be classified by type as follows, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids.
4.1. TYPES: The cloth shall be of the following types, whichever is specified on the Invitation for Bid.
4.1.1. Type One: Unbleached, desized and preshrunk; 7.5 ounces per square yard.
4.1.2. Type Two: Unbleached, desized and preshrunk; 6.5 ounces per square yard.
4.1.3. Type Three: Bleached white or dyed; preshrunk; 6.5 ounces per square yard.
4.1.4. Type Four: Bleached white or dyed; preshrunk; 6.0 ounces per square yard.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
5.1.1. Grade: The grade shall be that known commercially as firsts.
5.1.2. Material: The yarn shall be made from clean cotton, carded, drawn and evenly spun into single yarn for both the warp and filling.
5.1.3. Weave: The weave shall be a three (3) harness, (2/1), 2 up, 1 down twill.
5.1.4. Colors: Types One and Two cloth shall be natural color. Types Three and Four cloth shall be bleached or dyed, as specified. The Invitation for Bids will specify solid (plain) colors of Types Three and Four cloth as white (bleached), light, medium or dark; and prints as light, medium or dark. Classification of values of colors shall be in accordance with Munsell Color Standards and as specified below:
|Color Group||Munsell Value|
|Light||7, 8, and 9|
|Medium||4, 5, and 6|
|Dark||2 and 3|
Color swatches shall be furnished by the bidder with the bid and shall be priced individually according to color group. Selection of colors shall be made from swatches submitted by the bidder.
The use of sulfur dyes or dyes containing elementary sulfur compounds capable of oxidation to sulfuric acid is prohibited.
5.1.5. COLORFASTNESS: The colors of the dyed and finished Types Three and Four cloth shall show "good" colorfastness to laundering, wet dry cleaning, perspiration, crocking and light when tested in accordance with the test methods for colorfastness listed in Table 3, Tests, Paragraph 6.
5.1.6. SHRINKAGE: The cloth shall be preshrunk and shall not shrink more than two percent (2%).
5.1.7. NON-FIBROUS MATERIALS: The total sizing, finishing and other non-fibrous materials for each type of cloth shall not exceed the percentages listed in Table 2, Physical Requirements, when tested as specified in Table 3, Tests, Paragraph 6.
5.1.8. WIDTH: The minimum width of the finished cloth inclusive of selvages shall be 28 inches, unless otherwise specified on the Invitation for Bids. Bidder shall state width of cloth offered on the bid.
5.1.9. LENGTH: The cloth shall be in one continuous piece of not less than 40 yards, unless otherwise specified on the Invitation for Bids.
5.1.10. PUT-UP: The cloth shall be flatfold put-up unless otherwise specified.
5.1.11. WORKMANSHIP: The finished cloth shall be of the quality and grade established by the requirements specified herein.
5.1.12. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The finished cloth shall conform to the minimum requirements in Table 2, Physical Requirements, when tested as specified in Table 3, Tests, Paragraph 6.
|Type||Weight Per Square Yard
(Minimum in Ounces)
|Yarns Per Inch
(Minimum in Pounds)
(Minimum in Pounds)
|Non-fibrous Material Content (Minimum)|
|Warp Filling||Warp Filling|
|One||7.50||74 58||120 85||5.0%|
|Two||6.50||74 46||100 60||5.0%|
|Three||6.50||74 56||105 70||2.0%|
|Four||6.00||74 44||90 55||2.0%|
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
|Characteristic||Requirement Reference||Test Method|
|Fiber Identification (Cotton)||Paragraph 5.1.2.||1200.00|
|Weight, ounces per square yard||Table 2||5041.00|
|Yarns per inch||Table 2||5050.00|
| Breaking strength, pounds
|Wet Dry Cleaning||Paragraph 5.1.5.||5622.00|
|Shrinkage in laundering||Paragraph 5.1.6.||5550.00|
|Non-Fibrous Materials||Paragraph 5.1.7.||2611.00|
|Width of Cloth||Paragraph 5.1.8.||5020.00|
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. WARRANTY: All cloth shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one year.
The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the product by the ordering agency.
During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/products at no cost to the State of Texas.
9. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
10. MARKING / LABELING:
10.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.2. Quantity contained.
10.1.3. Order number or contract number.
10.1.4. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. LABELING: Each package of cloth shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
10.2.1. Type of cloth.
10.2.2. Color of cloth.
10.2.3. Width (inches).
10.2.4. Length (total yards in package).
10.2.5. Name of manufacturer.
In lieu of package labeling, the vendor may list the information required by Paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 above on a shipping ticket to be enclosed with the package.
11. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
12. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
12.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
12.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
12.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
13. NOTE TO ORDERING AGENCIES: Extreme care should be taken in checking shipments of cloth before rejecting and returning them to the vendor. Unless the receiving checker is qualified to identify the cloth and to determine that requirements which can be checked visually are met, a qualified person from within the agency should check the shipment and determine whether or not it is acceptable.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification (850-20-08).
14.2. Type of cloth (See Paragraph 4.1.).
14.3. Width desired, if other than 28 inches specified in Paragraph 5.1.8.).
14.4. Total number of yards (See Paragraph 5.1.9.).
14.5. When Types Three and Four are ordered, specify number of yards of white (bleached), number of yards of solid colors, and/or number of yards of prints. See Paragraph 5.1.4.for information on how to specify solid colors and prints.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047