Texas Specification No. 850-12-02A
Effective Date: December 14, 1990
Reformatted: February 15, 1996
BLANKET, BED, THERMAL TYPE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for cotton blend thermal blankets.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. the following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 123 -- Terminology Relating to Textiles.
2.1.2. ASTM D 3773 -- Test Methods for Length of Woven Fabric.
2.1.3. ASTM D 3774 -- Test Methods for Width of Woven Fabric.
2.2. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS, Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402:
2.2.1. V-T-276H -- Thread, Cotton.
2.2.2. DDD-B-1022A -- Blanket, Bed (Thermal Type) Cotton.
2.2.3. FED-STD-191A -- Textile Test Methods.
2.2.4. FED-STD-751A -- Stitches, Seams, and Stitching.
2.2.5. Code of Federal Regulations -- 16 CFR 303: Rules and Regulation under the Textile Fiber Identification Act.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Thermal blankets shall be classified by size and color as follows:
3.1. Size: Dimensions shall be as follows, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids.
3.1.1. Size 1: 66" x 90", minimum.
3.1.2. Size 2: 72" x 90", minimum.
3.1.3. Size 3: 72" x 96", minimum.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4.2. Filling: The yarn which interlaces with the warp yarn. The filling runs from selvage to selvage at right angles to the warp.
4.3. Leno Weave: A crossed interlacing of warp threads to form an open, perforated structure of a zigzag form.
4.4. Warp: The yarns than run lengthwise in a woven fabric.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. All blankets shall be new, unused, and a currently standard product of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Blankets shall present a neat, well finished appearance and shall be free of all imperfections and/or defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. Blanket shall be "first" commercial grade, clean, and free from tears or holes.
5.1.4. Blanket shall be machine washable, laundered by the same procedure as for sheets and capable of being tumble dried without damage.
5.1.5. Blankets shall be capable of sterilization by autoclave.
5.1.6. When placed on a flat surface, blankets shall be flat on all sides, and the ends shall be straight and parallel.
5.1.7. There shall be non broken or loose yarn, stitches, or seams. Threads shall be trimmed.
5.1.8. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2. Weights: The weights of the finished blankets shall be as specified below:
5.2.1. Size 1: 2.5 pounds, minimum.
5.2.2. Size 2: 2.75 pounds, minimum.
5.2.3. Size 3: 3.0 pounds, minimum.
5.3.1. The blankets shall be one piece, thermal type made from two ply yarn in both the warp and filling. The body of the blanket shall be open leno weave, with a flat woven stabilizing center stripe and full length flat woven side borders. The finished blankets shall conform to the requirements of Table 1.
|Yarn number and ply:|
|Warp||4.5 - 5.5|
|Filling||4.5 - 5.5|
|Yarns per inch,|
|Warp, leno weave||12.5 ± 0.5|
|Filling||15.0 ± 1.0|
|Breaking strength, pounds, minimum|
|Width of border, inches, minimum||2.75|
|Width of center strip, inches||1.0 - 2.0|
5.3.2. Stitches, Seams, and Stitching: The two ends of the blanket shall have a one inch ± 1/4 inch hem with 3/8 to 1/2 inch folded under the hem, in accordance with Stitching Type EFb-2 or EFb-4 of Federal Standard 751A. The hem shall have a minimum of two rows of stitching, with not less than seven stitches per inch.
5.3.3. Size after Laundering: The dimensional change in the size of the blanket after laundering (excluding autoclaving and boiling) shall not exceed ± 5%, when tested as specified in Table 2, Paragraph 6.
5.4.1. Yarn: The blankets shall be made from two ply yarn that has been thoroughly cleaned, carded, drawn, and evenly spun with sufficient twist to meet the requirements of the finished blankets.
The yarn shall be of 100% cotton fibers or a blend of cotton/polyester fibers, at the option of the manufacturer. The percentage of polyester fibers used in the blended yarn shall not exceed 50%.
5.4.2. Thread: The thread used in hemming or binding of the blankets shall be white or dyed cotton or polyester, matching the color of the blanket. Cotton thread shall be commercial type, Ticket No. 36 or 40 conforming to Federal Specification V-T-276H. It shall be three ply cotton or equivalent to provide sufficient strength.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier. The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures.
6.1. Method: Test method are those of Federal Standard 191A. See Table 2.
|Yarn per inch||5050.00|
|Strength and Elongation||5100.00|
|Shrinkage in Laundering||5550|
6.2. Procedure: Blanket shall be placed flat, without tension on a smooth surface. Measure width at each end and at the center. Measure length at each side and at the center. Measurements shall be to the nearest 1/16 inch. width and length shall be the average of the three respective measurements, minimum. Additional readings may be taken.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All blankets shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective blankets at no cost to the State of Texas.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
10.1. Packaging: Each blanket shall be folded in accordance with standard commercial practice and inserted in a sealed polyethylene bag.
10.2. Lots: Blankets shall be packed either 12 or 24 of one color and one size only per shipping container.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.6. Order number or contract number.
11.1.7. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.8. Agency requisition number.
11.2. LABELING: Each blanket shall have a permanent label securely attached at one end. The label shall be commercial type and shall have the name of the manufacturer or trademark. The marking shall be well defined, clearly legible and show good fastness to laundering. The blanket shall be labeled for fiber content in accordance with the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a description of the products being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Thermal blankets furnished to this specification can be laundered by the same procedure as for sheets. Also they can be boiled or autoclave when necessary to sterilize the blankets. After laundering, the blankets can be tumble dried.
15. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
15.1. The number of this specification (850-12-02A).
15.2. Size (See Paragraph 3.1.).
15.3. Color (See Paragraph 3.2.).
15.4. Quantity of each required (in multiples of 12).
16. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047