Texas Specification No. 665-71-01
Effective Date: January 20, 1976
Reformatted: October 22, 2010
PLASTIC SHEET, HIGH PRESSURE LAMINATES, DECORATIVE AND NON-DECORATIVE
The Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS), a division of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, develops formal standards and specifications for a number of commodities purchased in volume by the State of Texas. These standards and specifications establish minimum quality requirements and are identified by a standard/specification number.
- SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for plastic laminates which consist of papers, fabrics, and/or core materials that have been laminated at pressures of more than 500 pounds per square inch, using thermosetting condensations as binders. This material requires good appearance and functional performance under daily services such as, but not limited to, counters, table tops, sink tops, kitchen work surfaces, furniture, cabinets, baseboards, wainscoting, and wall paneling.
APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Solicitation.
The following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
- NEMA Standards: Publication No. LD3-1975 - High Pressure Decorative Laminates.
Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from:
NATIONAL ELECTRICAL MANUFACTURES ASSOCIATION (NEMA)
155 East 44th Street
New York, NY 10017
REQUIREMENTS: Plastic laminates furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the requirements outlined in this document.
- PRODUCT INFORMATION: Styles, Types, Grade and Classification
Style Type Grade Classification D - Decorative I - General purpose HP - High Pressure 1 and 2 II - Post Forming HP - High Pressure 1 and 2 III - Cabinet Liner HP - High Pressure ND - Non-Decorative IV - Backing Sheet HP - High Pressure
Style ND - Type IV (Backing Sheet) shall be sanded on one side to permit good bonding
The grade designation refers to the magnitude of the pressure used during the laminating process. The high pressure plastic laminate (Grade HP) shall consist of lay ers of fibrous sheet material which have been impregnated with thermo - setting resins and have been consolidated under heat and pressure to form a hard solid product.
Class 1 plastic laminates shall have a minimum wear value of 400 cycles.
Class 2 plasti c laminates shall have a minimum wear value of 200 cycles.
Class 3 plastic laminates shall have a minimum wear value of 50 cycles.
Type I - General Purpose:
General purpose type laminate is designed for both horizontal and vertical applications where good appearance, durability, resistance to stains and resistance to heat from ordinary sources are required.
Type II - Post Forming:
Post forming type laminate is similar to general purpose type laminate, but it can be formed under controlled temperature and pressure in accordance with the laminate manufacturer's recommendations.
Type III - Cabinet Liner:
Cabinet liner type laminate is a backing material which has a color or pattern sheet to enhance its appearance and which is intended for use in cabinet interiors.
Type IV - Backing Sheet:
Backer type laminate is a high-pressure laminate without a decorative face intended for use as a balancing back in panel construction.
The laminated plastic sheets shall be furnished in the finish specified in the Solicitation.
- Finish "A": Satin.
- Finish "B": Furniture Finish.
- Finish "C": Gloss.
- Finish "D": Other finishes are available, but because of the nature of the surface texture, no standard test method has yet been developed which adequately characterizes these surfaces.
Rating of surface finishes shall be in accordance with LD 3-1.04 of NEMA Standards Publication No. LD-3-1975, when tested in accordance with test method LD 3-3.13 specified in the same publication.
- COLORS AND PATTERNS:
Selection of colors and patterns shall be the nearest color and pattern available to those specified in the Solicitation, and shall be from the successful respondent's manufacturer's catalog or samples. If a specific color and/or pattern is required to match installed laminated, the solicitation will provide the brand name and catalog/style number.
- SHEET SIZES (Length and Width):
The sheets shall be furnished as specified in the Solicitation from the sizes shown below and shall be such that a rectangle of the sizes can be obtained.
WIDTH LENGTH Style, Type & Grade Inch cm Inch cm Inch cm Inch cm Inch cm Inch cm Inch cm Flat or cutsheets 24 60.96 60 152.40 72 182.88 84 213.36 96 243.84 120 304.80 144 365.76 Styles
D & ND
30 76.20 60. 152.40 72 182.88 84 213.36 96 243.84 120 304.80 144 365.76 Types
I, II, III, IV
36 91.44 60 152.40 72 182.88 84 213.36 96 243.84 120 304.80 144 365.76 Grade HP 48 121.92 60 152.40 72 182.88 84 213.36 96 243.84 120 304.80 144 365.76 60 152.40 60 152.40 72 182.88 84 213.36 96 243.84 120 304.80 144 365.76
- THICKNESS: The sheets shall be furnished in the thickness (es) specified in the Solicitation.
TYPE Nominal Thickness Tolerance Inches cm Inches cm I 0.050 .127 0.005 .013 I 0.038 .097 0.005 .013 I 0.028 .071 0.004 .010 I 0.022 .056 0.004 0.01 II 0.042 .107 0.005 .013 II 0.030 .076 0.005 .013 II 0.022 .056 0.004 .010 III 0.020 .051 0.004 .010 IV 0.020 .051 0.005 .013 IV 0.050 .127 0.005 .013
- MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR USE: Respondent must submit with proposal the manufacturers complete recommendations for the application of the type of plastic laminate described in the solicitation and the type of adhesive recommended by the manufacturer.
- WORKMANSHIP: The sheets shall be uniform in quality and shall be free from blisters, wrinkles, holes, cracks, scratches, separation of layers, and other imperfections which may affect its serviceability.
- INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Customer either at the destination or place of manufacture.
- PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
The type of shipping container used for packing the plastic laminates shall be in accordance with the manufacturers (or contractors’ ) standard practice, assuring that the material arrives undamaged at its destination.
- TESTING: A sample is subject to be tested per the test methods listed below or approved equally applicable procedures at the discretion of the Customers. In the event samples tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the contractor.
Style D sheets shall conform to the applicable performance requirements of laminated thermosetting decorative sheet specified in NEMA LD 3-1975, and as identified in Test Numbers J.1 through J.15 covering test methods.
Sheet wear values when tested as specified in J.1:
- Class 1 - Minimum wear value - 400 cycles
- Class 2 - Minimum wear value - 200 cycles
- Class 3 - Minimum wear value - 50 cycles
Number Test Methods NEMA Reference Applicable to Types J.1 Wear Resistance LD 3-3.01 I, II, III J.2 Scuff Resistance LD 3-3.02 I, II, III J.3 Impa ct Resistance LD 3-3.03 I, II, III J.4 Dimensional Change LD 3-3.04 I, II, III J.5 Resistance to Boiling Water LD 3-3.05 I, II, III J.6 High Temperature Resistance LD 3-3.06 I, II, III J.7 Radiant Heat Resistance LD 3-3.07 I, II J.8 Conductive Heat Re sistance LD 3-3.08 I, II, III J.9 Stain Resistance LD 3-3.09 I, II, III J.10 Light Resistance LD 3-3.10 I, II, III J.11 Appearance LD 3-3.11 I, II J.12 Cleanability LD 3-3.12 I, II, III J.13 Surface Finish LD 3-3.13 I, II, III J.14 Formability LD 3-3.14 I, II J.15 Blister Resistance LD 3-3.15 I, II
- PRODUCT INFORMATION: Styles, Types, Grade and Classification