Texas Specification No. 505-85-02A
Effective Date: September 18, 1973
Reformatted: January 29, 1996
SOUR, LAUNDRY, AMMONIUM TYPE
1. SCOPE: This specification covers the minimum requirements for a laundry sour, composed of ammonium silicofluoride, and employed as a general neutralizing agent in laundry practice. It is to be noted this product will not remove or prevent discoloration in fabrics caused by iron bearing waters.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: The laundry sour or ammonium silicofluoride furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. General Requirements: The product shall be white, free flowing powder, free from dirt and other objectionable impurities. It is recognized that this materials is subject to lumping when exposed to moisture of moisture laden air, and this fact will be given consideration at the time of inspection. This consideration, however, will not permit excessive lumping in the product. The sour shall be manufactured in accordance with the best commercial practices. It shall be effective in neutralizing the amount of alkalinity normally remaining in fabrics, after the washing operations.
4.2. Chemical and physical requirements:
4.2.1. Neutralization Capacity: One gram of sour (ammonium silicofluoride) shall neutralize a minimum of 1.83 grams of sodium bicarbonate.
4.2.2. Water Insoluble Matter: Shall not be greater than 0.2 percent by weight.
4.3. Container Requirements: The laundry sour furnished to this specification will be provided in the following type and size, new, moisture proof containers.
4.3.1. 50 pound net multiwall paper bags
4.3.2. 100 pound net multiwall paper bags
4.3.3. 100 pound net lined drums
4.3.4. 300 pound net lined drums
4.3.5. 400 pound net lined drums
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Neutralizing Capacity: One gram of sour (ammonium silicofluoride) shall neutralize a minimum of 1.83 grams of sodium bicarbonate when determined by the following procedure:
Accurately weigh a one gram sample of the sour and dissolve in 100 ml of water. To the sample solution, add 3.0 grams of reagent grade calcium chloride dihydrate or 2.5 grams of reagent grade anhydrous calcium chloride. Add five (5) drops of methyl orange indicator, mix well, and titrate with 1.0 normal sodium hydroxide until an orange color persists. Heat the sample to incipient boiling. If the color returns to red, continue titrating until the solution remains orange for at least 30 seconds. Solution must be above 85 °C at end of titration. record the volume of 1.0 normal sodium hydroxide used.
Neutralizing Capacity (grams NaHCO3 per gram of sour) = A x N x 0.084
Where: A = ml of sodium hydroxide used
N = normality of sodium hydroxide
B = weight of sample
6.1.3. Water Insoluble Matter: Five hundred (500) ml of distilled water shall be heated to a temperature of 37-38 °C in an Erlenmeyer flask. A 1.000 ± 0.005 gram specimen of the sour shall be added to the water in the flask. The flask shall be stoppered and shaken vigorously for 30 seconds. The contents of the flask shall be rapidly filtered through a weighed Gooch crucible containing a suitable asbestos mat (or a sintered glass crucible) by decantation. Do not stir the solution. the entire filtration shall be completed in less than two (2) minutes. Any solid material remaining in the flask shall be washed into the filter by three separate small portions (not exceeding 15 ml per portion) of distilled water at a temperature of 20 °C ± 2 °C. Do not give the crucible and contents any additional washing. the crucible and contents shall be dried to constant weight at 105 ° to 110 °C.
Water Insoluble Matter, percent = A - B x 100
Where: A = weight of crucible plus contents after drying
B = weight of crucible plus pad
C = weight of specimen
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
This product contains fluorides. Warning!! May be fatal if swallowed. Avoid breathing dust. Wash thoroughly after handling. Clean up spillage. Do. not store near food.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (505-85-02A).
11.2. The type, size and number of containers.
11.3. The total quantity required.
12. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047