Texas Specification No. 505-47-01B
Effective Date: July 25, 1977
Reformatted: January 29, 1996
FABRIC SOFTENER, POWDERED, QUATERNARY AMMONIUM TYPE, NONGERMICIDAL
1. SCOPE: This specification covers the minimum requirements for a powdered, nongermicidal, quaternary ammonium fabric softener for use in institutional laundries.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING MATERIALS, 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 2077 -- Ash in Fatty Quaternary Ammonium Chlorides.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS: Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-79-03 -- Dimethyl Distearyl Ammonium Chloride.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 775-63-01 -- Salt, Evaporated, Sodium Chloride.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: The Fabric softener furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. General Requirements: The product shall be a free flowing granular solid material, white to slightly off white in color.
4.2. Materials: The fabric softener shall be compounded from diethyl distearyl ammonium chloride meeting Texas Specification No. 180-12-05 and sodium chloride meeting Texas Specification No. 775-63-01.
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall comply with the requirements of Table 2, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|1. Percent active ingredient, as quaternary ammonium chloride||21||--||6.1.|
|2. Ash (essentially sodium chloride), percent||76||78||6.2.|
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Quaternary Ammonium Chloride: The method of test involves titration with standard dodecyl sodium sulfate (sodium lauryl sulfate) solution, prepared from reagent grade material. Alternatively, the purest grade of industrial material (recrystallized dentifrice grade) may be used.
18.104.22.168. Prepare standard .001 N dodecyl sodium sulfate by dissolving 0.5 to 0.6 g, weighed to the nearest 0.1 mg, in deionized water and diluting to 21 in a volumetric flask. Calculate normality by the expression:
N = Normality = g dodecyl sodium sulfate
22.214.171.124. Weigh out approximately one g of fabric softener to the nearest mg into a 200 ml beaker. Extract the quaternary active ingredient by stirring with successive 25 ml portions of reagent grade chloroform and decanting through a filter into a 100 ml volumetric flask. Bring the total volume up to the mark with fresh solvent.
126.96.36.199. Transfer a 5 ml aliquot to a 50 ml volumetric flask by means of a pipette. Add 5 drops dichlorofluorescein indicator (1% in alcohol), which will impart a pink color to the solution. Titrate rapidly with standard dodecyl sodium sulfate, shaking the stoppered flask vigorously after each addition, inverting the flask, and observing against a white background. the end point is indicated by disappearance of the pink color in the chloroform layer.
188.8.131.52. Repeat the titration with at least two additional aliquots, approaching the end point more cautiously, until close agreement is obtained between successive titrations.
184.108.40.206. Calculate the result by means of the expression:
Percent active quaternary = T x M x N x 2 , where
T = ml dodecyl sodium sulfate solution
N = normality of dodecyl sodium sulfate solution
M = average molecular weight of quaternary ammonium chloride (This value may be obtained from the manufacturer and should be approximately 583.)
W = g sample used in Step 220.127.116.11.
6.1.2. Ash -- Determine by the method of ASTM D 2077.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. PACKING: The fabric softener shall be packaged in the following types and sizes of new containers:
8.1.1. Plastic lined boxes, 5 pounds net, 10 per case
8.1.2. Plastic lined boxes, 50 pounds net
8.1.3. Multiwall paper bags, 50 pounds net
8.1.4. Plastic lined fiber drums, 125 pounds net.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
9.2.1. Name and address of the manufacturer.
9.2.2. Trade name of the product, if any.
9.2.3. Net contents in pounds.
9.2.4. Instructions for use, including recommended concentration.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (505-47-01B).
11.2. Size container (s) desired.
11.3. Quantity of each size container desired.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: The nongermicidal fabric softener furnished to this specification is intended for use in the final rinse cycle of the washing operation. It may also be used in the starch or sour bath.
The recommended amount of softener is one and one half (1 1/2) ounces per 100 pounds (1 g per kg) of dry clothing. Due to different water conditions at various agencies, the used may find that the amount of fabric softener to be used per 100 pounds of dry clothing may have to be slightly increased or decreased to obtain the desired softening results.
12. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047