Texas Specification No. 505-35-07
Effective Date: January 18, 1991
Reformatted: February 20, 1997
DETERGENT, LAUNDRY, LIQUID, CONCENTRATE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes minimum requirements for a liquid, high-sudsing, anionic and nonionic, non-phosphorous, biodegradable, laundry detergent concentrate for use in domestic washing machines.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 460 -- 1991-- Method for Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Soaps and Soap Products.
2.1.2. ASTM E 70 -- 1990 -- Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with a Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS: Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O.Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-12-07 -- Diethanolamine (DEA), 99% Commercial
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-58-02A -- Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) - Liquid (50%).
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-92-11A -- Surfactant, Sodium Xylenesulfonate (40% Active).
2.2.4. Texas Specification No. 180-92-12A -- Surfactant, Linear Alkylate Sulfonic Acid.
2.2.5. Texas Specification No. 180-93-03A -- Surfactant, Linear Primary Alcohol Ethoxylate.
3. CLASSIFICATION: The liquid laundry detergent shall be classified by chemical content.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: The liquid laundry detergent furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements: The product shall be translucent, moderately viscous, homogeneous, essentially sediment-free, clear liquid. It may be colored with a small amount of soluble dye at the manufacturer's option. It shall show no turbidity or loss of stability when stored at 120 °F for 24 hours.
5.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be compounded as shown in Table No. One.
TABLE NO. ONE
|Ingredient||Percent by Weight Minimum||Percent by Weight Maximum||Texas Specification No.|
|Diethanolamine (DEA), 99% Commercial Grade||2.0||4.0||180-12-07|
|Surfactant, Sodium Xylenesulfonate (40% Active)||6.0||8.0||180-92-11A|
|Surfactant, Linear Alkylate Sulfonic Acid||18.0||21.0||180-92-12A|
|Surfactant, Linear Primary Alcohol Ethoxylate||2.0||4.0||180-93-03A|
5.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Paragraph 6.1.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on product from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Tests: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Stability: Determine the stability of the product by testing a 100 gram sample at 120 °F for 24 hours. At the end of the time, the liquid shall show no evidence of sedimentation or separation of the components. Determine compliance with Paragraph 5.1.
6.1.2. Total Solids: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460. Solid range shall be 27.0 -- 29.0 percent by weight.
6.1.3. pH: Measure the pH by ASTM E 70. pH as received shall be 10.5 -- 11.5.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING AND/OR PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be n accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9.1. Packing: The soap shall be pressed into standard 4.2 ounce (119g) bars, and packaged 144 bars to a case.
10. MARKING AND/OR LABELING:
10.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.2. Quantity contained.
10.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Order number or contract number.
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. Labeling: Each container shall bear a durable label containing the name of the product and instructions for use, including required precautionary statements.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to a bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. Product Identification: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. Exceptions: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. Proof: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with the specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: After dilution with water, per label instructions, the detergent is formulated for all wash temperatures to remove dirt and stains from fabrics, including delicate fabrics. It is safe to use with bleach and for pre-soaking.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1. The number of this specification (505-35-07).
13.2. The number of cases required (multiples of 100 packs or six (6) jugs).
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P.O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047