Texas Specification No. 505-35-06
Effective Date: March 24, 1989
Reformatted: January 26, 1996
DETERGENT, LAUNDRY, HIGH SUDSING, GRANULAR, CONCENTRATE
(For Automatic Laundry Machines)
1. SCOPE: This specification covers the minimum requirements for a high sudsing, granular laundry detergent concentrate for use in automatic home type laundry machines.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING MATERIALS, 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 501 -- Standard Methods of Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Alkaline Detergents.
2.1.2. ASTM D 1568 -- Standard Methods for Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Alkylbenzene Sulfonates.
2.1.3. ASTM E 70 -- Standard Test Methods for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Laundry detergent furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. General Requirements: The product shall be a homogeneous, free flowing granular solid material, white to slightly off white in color.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The detergent shall contain the following ingredients at the composition listed in Table 1.
|Ingredient||Texas Specification||Percent by Weight|
|1. Sodium Tripolyphosphate||180-74-03A||33.047|
|2. Sodium Metasilicate||180-84-02A||33.047|
|3. Surfactant, Anionic Sodium Linear Alkyl Aryl Sulfonate||180-92-02A||19.828|
|4. Sodium Sesquicarbonate||180-24-03A||13.22|
|5. Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose||180-86-01B||0.826|
|6. Fluorescent brightener||180-30-01||0.033|
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall comply with the requirements of Table 2, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|1. pH in 1% Aqueous Solution||11.8||12.2||6.1.|
|2. Alcohol-insoluble matter *pbw||17.5||18.5||6.2.|
|3. Water-insoluble matter, *pbw||--||0.3||6.3.|
|4. Total alkalinity as Na2O, *pbw||29.0||32.0||6.4.|
|5. Foam Volume of 0.2% Solution, ml @ 25 °C ± 2 °C||140.0||180.0||6.5.|
*pbw: percent by weight
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. pH: Measure by the procedure of ASTM E 70 except that a 1% solution shall be used. Determine compliance with Table 2.
6.1.2. Alcohol-Insoluble Matter: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 1568. Determine compliance with Table 2.
6.1.3. Water-Insoluble Matter: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 1568, Section 142-144. Determine compliance with Table 2.
6.1.4. Total Alkalinity: Measure total alkalinity as Na2O by the procedure of ASTM D 501, Section 69-73. Determine compliance with Table 2.
6.1.5. Foam Height: Measure as follows:
18.104.22.168. Take 10.0 ml of the 1.0% solution used for the pH test, dilute with dionized water to 50.0 ml, and transfer to a 250 ml graduated cylinder.
22.214.171.124. Stopper the cylinder and shake by inversion, rotating the cylinder about its midpoint without transitional motion for one minute at such a rate that 30 inversions are completed.
126.96.36.199. Place the cylinder in an upright position upon a rigid surface, remove the stopper, wait five seconds and read the net volume of foam (total volume minus the volume of the liquid).
188.8.131.52. Determine compliance with Table 2.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. PACKING: The product shall be packaged in boxes of 5 pounds net weight, 10 boxes per case, or in sturdy, well made drums of approximately 100 pounds net weight. The material of the box or drum shall neither affect nor be affected by the contents for a period of six months from date of shipment.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of product, including trade name if any.
9.1.2. Net contents in pounds contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (505-35-06).
11.2. The quantity required in pounds (order in multiples of 50 pound cases (ten 5 pound boxes) or 100 pound drums).
12. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047