Texas Specification No. 505-35-03A
Effective Date: September 1, 1984
Reformatted: January 26, 1996
DETERGENT, INSTITUTIONAL LAUNDRY, GRANULAR
1. SCOPE: This specification covers the minimum requirements for a granular washing compound suitable for use in institutional laundry equipment.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING MATERIALS, 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 820 -- Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis of Soaps Containing Synthetic Detergents.
2.1.2. ASTM E 70 -- Standard Test Methods for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711:
2.2.1. 180-74-03A -- Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Anhydrous
2.2.2. 180-84-02A -- Sodium Metasilicate, Anhydrous
2.2.3. 180-86-01B -- Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose
2.2.4. 180-92-02A -- Surfactant, Anionic, sodium Linear Alkyl Aryl Sulfonate
2.2.5. 180-92-09A -- Surfactant, Nonionic, Nonylphenoxy (polyethoxy) ethanol
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Laundry detergent furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. General: The product shall be a white or slightly off white granular material. It shall be readily pourable from the container without generating excessive amounts of irritating dust.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be mixed and thoroughly blended from ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications, in the proportion given in Table 1 to a tolerance of ± 0.5 percent of the individual ingredient.
|Ingredient||Texas Specification||Percent by Weight|
|1. Sodium metasilicate, anhydrous||180-84-02A||70.6|
|2. Sodium linear alkyl aryl sulfonate||180-92-02A||14.6|
|3. Sodium tripolyphosphate||180-74-03A||12.2|
|4. Sodium carboxymethylcellulose||180-86-01B||1.2|
|5. Nonylphenoxy (polyethoxy) ethanol||180-92-09A||1.2|
|6. Fluorescent brightener||180-30-01||0.20|
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall comply with the requirements of Table 2, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|1. pH in 1% aqueous solution||12.20||12.60||6.1.|
|2. Alcohol-soluble matter *pbw||15.0||16.0||6.2.|
|3. Water-insoluble matter, *pbw||--||0.3||6.3.|
|4. Total alkalinity as Na2O, *pbw||38.0||--||6.4.|
*pbw: percent by weight
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. pH in 1% Aqueous Solution: Dissolve 1.00 gram of product in sufficient distilled water to give 100 ml of solution, and determine pH by the procedure of ASTM E 70.
6.1.2. Matter Soluble in Alcohol: Treat an accurately weighed 2 gram sample with hot ethyl alcohol by the procedure of ASTM 820, Paragraph 14, with the exception of dissolving the residue in water and reprecipitating with alcohol. the result should approximate the total content of anionic and nonionic surfactants.
6.1.3. Matter insoluble in Water: Determine by the procedure of ASTM D 820, Paragraph 15.
6.1.4. Total Alkalinity: Weigh a 5 gram sample to the nearest .01 g into a 250 ml glass stoppered volumetric flask. Add distilled water to dissolve the sample, and dilute to the mark. titrate a 10 ml aliquot to the methyl orange end point with standard 0.1 N HCl. Calculate the result by applying the formula:
% Na2O = ml HCl x normality x 3.1 / g sample in the aliquot
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. PACKING: The product shall be packaged in plastic lined fiber drums of 100 pound net contents.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of product, including trade name if any.
9.1.2. Net contents in pounds.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
9.1.4. Directions for use, including precautions and first aid instructions required by government regulations.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (505-35-03A).
11.2. The size of containers and total quantity required.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Laundry detergent conforming to this specification is designed particularly for use in large washer extractors. It contains the essential ingredients for loosening and suspending types of soil frequently encountered on institutional fabrics, an anti-redeposition agent, and an optical brightener. Its foaming tendency is higher than that of a typical home laundry detergent. Like all laundry alkalis, it should be stored out of contact with the air.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047