Texas Specification No. 505-25-04
Effective Date: August 31, 1983
Reformatted: February 21, 1996
BLEACH, LAUNDRY, DRY
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a dry, granular laundry bleach containing an organic chlorine carrier.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. the following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1 AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 502 -- Standard Test Method for Particle Size of Soaps and Other Detergents.
2.1.2. ASTM D 2022 -- Standard Test Methods of Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Chlorine Containing Bleaches.
2.1.3. ASTM E 70 -- Standard Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-36-01B -- Chlorine Carrier, Organic - Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-74-03B -- Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Anhydrous.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-84-02A -- Sodium Metasilicate, Anhydrous.
2.2.4. Texas Specification No. 180-90-01A -- Sodium Sulfate, Anhydrous.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4. REQUIREMENTS: Laundry bleach furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. General: The product shall be a uniformly blended mixture composed of fine, white particles, free from cakes or lumps. It shall not generate clouds of irritating dust when poured from the container.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be formulated from ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications, in the amounts ( ± 0.2 percent by weight) given in Table 1.
|Raw Material||Percent by Weight||Texas Specification No.|
|1. Sodium tripolyphosphate||47.5||180-74-03B|
|2. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate||35.0||180-36-01B|
|3. Sodium metasilicate||5.0||180-84-02A|
|4. Sodium sulfate||12.5||180-90-01A|
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 2, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|1. Available chlorine, pbw||20.0||22.0|
|2. Active alkalinity as Na2O, pbw||15.3||--|
|3. pH of 0.1% aqueous solution||10.0||11.0|
|4. Particle size, pbw passing:|
|No. 20 standard sieve (850 mm)||98||--|
|No. 100 standard sieve (150 mm)||--||20.0|
|No. 200 standard sieve (75 mm)||--||3.0|
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Test: The products furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Available Chlorine: Determine by the procedure of ASTM D 2022, Paragraph 44, with the exception that the sample for titration shall be a 50 ml aliquot of a stock solution prepared from an accurately weighed 5 gram sample by dissolving in distilled water and diluting to 500 ml in a volumetric flask. Calculate the result, using the equation: % available Cl = V1 x N1 x 35.46 / W where:
V1 = ml 0.1 N thiosulfate solution used in titrating
N1 = normality of the titrant
W = gram sample used in preparing the stock solution
6.1.2. Total Alkalinity: Transfer a 50 ml aliquot of the stock solution to a 250 ml Erlenmeyer flask, add 1 ml 30% hydrogen peroxide, and swirl the flask until evolution of oxygen gas ceases. Titrate with standard 0.1 N HCl to the methyl orange end point. Determine total alkalinity, using the equation:
% Na2O = (V1 x N1) / 2 + (V2 x N2) x 31
Where: V2 = ml 0.1 N HCl used in titrating
N2 = normality of HCl
other symbols as in 6.1.1.
Note: One equivalent of titratable alkali is consumed for every two equivalents of available chlorine consumed in the reaction with hydrogen peroxide.
6.1.3. pH of 0.1% Aqueous Solution: Transfer a 10 ml pipette full of stock solution to a 100 ml graduated cylinder, and dilute to 100 ml with distilled water. Determine pH by the procedure of ASTM E 70, Paragraph 10.
6.1.4. Particle Size: Subject a 100 gram sample of the dry product to sieve analysis by the procedure of ASTM D 502, with the exception of the screen sizes specified.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
8.1. The laundry bleach shall be packaged in plastic lined containers of the following types and sizes, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids:
8.1.1. Five (5) pound, pasteboard boxes, packed 10 to a carton
8.1.2. 100 pound fiberboard drums.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
9.2.1. Name of product, including brand name, if any.
9.2.2. Name and address of the manufacturer.
9.2.3. Net contents.
9.2.4. Complete instructions for use, including warning statements as required by governmental regulations.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (505-25-04A).
11.2. The size of containers required.
11.3. The total quantity required.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: When used in accordance with instructions on the label, a product conforming to the specification is a safe and effective bleaching and stain removing agent for fabrics other than silk and wool. It should be stored in tightly closed containers under cool, dry conditions, and kept from contact with detergents, laundry sours, ammonium hydroxide, or combustible materials.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047