Texas Specification No. 505-25-03
Effective Date: July 30, 1971
Reformatted: February 21, 1996
SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE SOLUTIONS, 10% AVAILABLE CHLORINE
(Laundry Bleach, Liquid)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for one grade of sodium hypochlorite solution having an available chlorine content of 10 percent by weight. The product is intended for use as a laundry bleach, disinfectant, or for other purposes where a chlorine carrier of this nature is suitable. (See Texas Specification No. 505-25-01A for powdered calcium hypochlorite.)
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4. REQUIREMENTS: Sodium hypochloriate solution furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. Composition: The composition of the product shall be as follows in Table 1.
|Available chlorine (Cl)||10.0||--|
|Free alkali (calculated as NaOH)||--||1.5|
|Total mixed oxides of heavy metals, plus aluminum oxide (Al2O3)||--||0.5|
4.2. Appearance: The solution shall be a clear greenish-yellow liquid free from sediment or suspended matter.
4.3. Containers and Sizes: The sizes of containers shall be as follows, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids:
4.3.1. One quart.
4.3.2. One gallon.
4.3.3. Five gallon.
4.3.4. Thirty (30) gallon.
Containers used for packaging the product shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's commercial practice, provided the containers shall neither affect nor be affected by the sodium hypochlorite solution.
Note: Container deposit and return freight policy must be stated as a part of each bid.
The product container shall be packaged in a manner to insure carrier acceptance and safe delivery at destination. Shipping containers shall be in accordance with the rules and regulations applicable to the mode of transportation.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
6. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
7. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7.1. Test: The products furnished under this specification shall be tested by the methods outlined in Federal Specification No. O-S-602, or equally applicable procedures.
8. MARKING / LABELING:
8.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
8.1.1. Name of contents.
8.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
8.1.4. Order number or contract number.
8.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
8.1.6. Agency requisition number.
8.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
8.2.1. Name of contents
8.2.2. Quantity contained.
8.2.3. Direction for dilution.
8.2.4. Name and address of the manufacturer.
8.2.5. "CAUTION!! STORE IN A COOL PLACE AND NOT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT."
8.2.6. Such additional cautionary labeling as may be required by applicable Federal Regulations.
9. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
9.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
9.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
9.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
10. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
10.1. The number of this specification (505-25-03).
10.2. The size container desired.
10.3. The quantity (number of containers) desired.
11. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Sodium hypochlorite solutions are inherently unstable and are subject to decomposition and loss of effectiveness under certain conditions. Some of the conditions effecting the rapidity and the degree of the loss of active ingredient (chlorine) are as follows:
11.1. Length of time in storage.
11.2. Temperature during storage and shipment.
11.3. Amount of agitation during shipment and handling.
11.4. Amount and degree of exposure to light, particularly sunlight.
12. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047