Texas Specification No. 505-25-01
Effective Date: July 23, 1980
Reformatted: February 21, 1996
CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE, TECHNICAL
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a technical grade of calcium hypochlorite in granular form, for use in applications requiring a powerful chlorinating, oxidizing, and bleaching agent.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. the following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1 AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 502 -- Standard Method of Test for Particle Size of Soaps and Other Detergents.
2.2. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS, Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402:
2.2.1. O-C-114b -- Calcium Hypochlorite, Technical.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4. REQUIREMENTS: Calcium hypochlorite furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. General: The product shall be in a form of free flowing granules, white or off-white in color, and shall be free from dust or other foreign matter.
4.2. Chemical and Physical: The properties listed in Table 1 shall conform to the given requirements, when tested by the methods sited in Paragraph 7.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
6. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
|1. Available chlorine, pbw||65.0||--||7.1.1.|
|2. Moisture, pbw||--||11.0||7.1.2.|
|3. Oxides of heavy metals and aluminum, pbw||--||0.50||7.1.3.|
|4. Iron, pbw||--||0.10||7.1.4|
|5. Particle size, passing:|
|No. 14 standard sieve (140 mm)||60.0||--||7.1.5.|
|No. 100 standard sieve (150 mm)||--||3.0||7.1.5.|
7. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7.1. Test: The products furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
7.1.1. Available Chlorine: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.2. by the procedure of Federal Specification O-C-114B, Paragraph 4.3.1.
7.1.2. Moisture: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.2. by the procedure of Federal Specification O-C-114B, Paragraph 4.3.3.
7.1.3. Oxides of Heavy Metals and Aluminum: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.2. by the procedure of Federal Specification O-C-114B, Paragraph 4.3.4.
7.1.4. Iron: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.2. by the procedure of Federal Specification O-C-114B, Paragraph 4.3.5.
7.1.5. Particle Size: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.2. by the procedure of ASTM D 502, Paragraph 4.1, except that the sieve sizes shall be as indicated in Table 1 of this specification.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
8.1. The product shall be packaged in fiber drums of 100 pounds (45.4 kg) net contents complying with applicable Department of Transportation regulations.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (505-25-01).
11.2. The quantity required (usually in multiples of 100 pounds).
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Calcium hypochlorite is an economical, convenient, and effective source of active chlorine. When dissolved in water, it destroys by chemical action most of the organic pollutants responsible for bad odors, stains, or murkiness, in areas such as water mains, wastewater effluent, or swimming pools. It is irritating in concentrated from, and should be prevented fro coming into contact with the skin, eyes or mucous membranes. Calcium hypochlorite should never be mixed with other chemicals, or with any solvents other than water. Follow the instruction on the container label with regard to correct use, storage, and safety precautions.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047