TEXAS SPECIFICATION No. 485-86-09A
Effective Date: November 21, 1994
Reformatted: December 4, 1995
Soap, Detergent Bar, Mild, High-Sudsing
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes requirements for a toilet detergent bar soap.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents forma a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 460 - 1991 - Method for Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Soaps and Soap Products.
2.1.2. ASTM E 70 - 1990 - Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS: Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O.Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-48-11, Soap Base, Tallow-Coconut, Particulate, Form, Grade B.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-92-13, Surfactant, Anionic - Sodium Cocyl Isethionate.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-94-01A, Titanium Dioxide - Anatase.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Soap shall be classified by chemical content.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meaning exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. COMMISSION: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: Soap furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
5.1.1. Soap shall be extruded into well-formed bars which conform to generally accepted standards for such properties as feel, lathering ability, and freedom from cracking.
5.1.2. Nominal weight per bar shall be 0.30 ounces.
5.2. CHEMICAL COMPOSITION: The product shall be compounded from the following ingredients:
5.2.1. Soap base conforming to Texas Specification No. 180-48-11, Grade B.
5.2.2. Sodium Cocovl Isethionate, conforming to Texas Specification No. 180-92-13, amounting to one part by weight to form 20-24 parts anhydrous soap.
5.2.3. Titanium Dioxide - Anatase, conforming to Texas Specification No. 190-94-01A, in sufficient amount (about 0.1 percent by weight (pbw)) to give a clean, color to the bar; is optional.
5.2.4. A commercial soap perfume in sufficient amount to provide a mild, "clean" fragrance.
5.2.5. A coloring agent suitable for toilet soap, providing a distinctive color of the manufacturer's choice.
5.3. TEST REQUIREMENTS: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 1.
TABLE ONE (1)
|Matter volatile at 105 °C pbw*||--||11.50||6.1.|
|Nonvolatile matter soluble in alcohol, pbw**||85.0||--||6.2.|
|pH in 1% aqueous solution||10.50||10.60||6.3.|
*Percent by weight (pbw)
**NOTE: This figure includes the active ingredients (soap and synthetic detergent) and a negligible amount of inert material such as sodium chloride.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Test shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Matter Volatile at 105 °C - Determine by ASTM D 460, Paragraph 11.
6.1.2. Nonvolatile Matter Soluble in Alcohol - Digest an accurately weighed 3 gram sample with 200ml hot 95% ethyl alcohol, filter, and wash in accordance with ASTM D 460, Paragraph 17.1. Evaporate the filtrate to dryness in accordance with Paragraph 22.4. Calculate percent nonvolatile residue.
6.1.3. pH in 1% Aqueous Solution - Dissolve a 1 gram sample in 100ml distilled water, measure the pH by ASTM E 70.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9.1. PACKING: The soap shall be pressed into 0.30 ounce bars, and packaged 970-980 bars to the case. The case shall weight 20 pounds.
10. MARKING / LABELING:
10.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of Contents.
10.1.2. Quantity contained.
10.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Order number or contract number.
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. LABELING: Each container shall bear a durable label containing the name of the product and instructions for use, including required precautionary statements.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to a bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: This combination soap and detergent bar provides a mild, effective product for daily use in washing hands and skin.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1. The number of this specification (485-86-09A).
13.2. The quantity required (number of cases).
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P. O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047