TEXAS SPECIFICATION No. 485-86-08
Effective Date: September 1, 1984
Reformatted: November 21,1995
Combination Soap and Detergent Bar
(Mild, High-Sudsing, White)
1. SCOPE: This specification covers the requirements for toilet soap bar, primarily for use in State institutions.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: All references to specifications, standards, test methods, and other documents shall be to the issues in effect at the opening date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the reference documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein and applicable hereto:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 460-1991 - Standard Methods for Sampling and Chemical Analyses of Soaps and Soap Products.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS: Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O.Box 13186, Austin, TX, 78701-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-48-11 - Soap Base, Coconut, Particle Form, Grade A.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-92-13 - Surfactant, Anionic-Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-94-01A - Titanium Dioxide-Anatase.
3. CLASSIFICATION: The soap bar shall be classified by chemical content.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with the meanings that have been defined through general use, industry standards, and accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. COMMISSION: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Soap furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: The soap shall be produced by the skillful application of modern technology and equipment to raw materials of high quality. It shall conform to generally accepted commercial standards pertaining to such qualities as feel, freedom from cracking and lathering ability. It shall be perfumed and colored in a manner selected by the manufacturer.
5.2. CHEMICAL COMPOSITION: The product shall be compounded as shown in Table 1.
|Ingredients||Percentage By Weight Minimum Maximum||Texas Specification No.|
|Soap Base, Tallow-coconut||95.0 96.5||180-48-11|
|Surfactant, Anionic-Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate||3.5 4.5||180-92-13|
|Titanium Dioxide-Anatase||0.06 0.08||180-94-01A|
Additional ingredients will include a perfume in sufficient amount to provide a mild "clean" fragrance.
5.3 TEST REQUIREMENTS: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 2 when tested by methods cited in paragraph 6.1.
|Total moisture and volatiles, pbw*||11.50||6.1.1.|
|Salt (NaCL), pbw*||1.00||6.1.3.|
*percentage by weight (pbw)
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction, of the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of the testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Total Moisture and Volatile: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with paragraph 5.3.
6.1.2. Alkalinity: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with paragraph 5.3.
6.1.3. Salt (NaCL): Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with paragraph 5.3.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction, of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packaging for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
9.1. PACKING: The soap shall be pressed into standard 3.5 ounce (99.2g) bars and packaged 144 bars to a case.
10. MARKING LABELING:
10.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.2. Quantity contained.
10.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Order number or contract number.
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. LABELING: Each product shall bear a durable label containing the name of the product and instructions for use, including required precautionary statements.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to a bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1 PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the bidder proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2 EXCEPTION: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Soap complying with this specification is an excellent toilet soap for personal cleanliness and is an effective soap for daily use in washing the hands and body.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1 The number of this specification (485-86-08).
13.2 The quantity required (number of cases).
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P. O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047