TEXAS SPECIFICATION No. 485-86-06B
Effective Date: June 9, 1982
Reformatted: December 1,1995
Soap, Toilet Bar, Antibacterial
1. SCOPE: This specification covers the requirements for a deodorant soap for use primarily in State institutions.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: All references to specifications, standards, test methods, and other documents shall be to the issues in effect at the opening date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the reference documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein and applicable hereto:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 460-1991 - Standard Methods for Sampling and Chemical Analyses of Soaps and Soap Products.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS: Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O.Box 13186, Austin, TX, 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-48-11 - Soap Base, Coconut, Particle Form, Grade A.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-94-01A - Titanium Dioxide-Anatase.
3. CLASSIFICATION: The soap bar shall be classified by chemical content.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with the meanings that have been defined through general use, industry standards, and accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. COMMISSION: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Soap furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: The soap shall be produced by the skillful application of modern technology and equipment to raw materials of high quality. It shall conform to generally accepted commercial standards pertaining to such qualities as feel, freedom from cracking and lathering ability. It shall be perfumed and colored in a manner selected by the manufacturer.
5.2 CHEMICAL COMPOSITION: The product shall be compounded as shown in Table 1.
|Ingredients||Percent by Weight*||Texas Specification No.|
|Soap Base, Tallow-Coconut||99.4 99.5||180-48-11|
|Lanolin, Ethoxylated||0.20 0.30|
|Triclosan (Germicide)||0.20 0.25|
|Titanium Dioxide-Anatase||0.06 0.08||180-94-01A|
* Additional ingredients will include minor amounts of dye and perfume.
5.3. TEST REQUIREMENTS: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 2 when tested by methods cited in paragraph 6.1.
|1. Total moisture and volatiles, pbw*||15.0||6.1.1.|
|2. Alkalinity, pbw*||0.10||6.1.2.|
|3. Salt (NaCL), pbw*||1.0||6.1.3.|
*Percent by Weight (pbw).
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Test shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost o the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1 TEST: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Total Moisture and Volatiles: Measure by procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with paragraph 5.3.
6.1.2. Alkalinity: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with paragraph 5.3.
6.1.3. Salt (NaCL): Measure by the procedure of ASTM d 460 and determine compliance with paragraph 5.3.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9.1 PACKING: The soap shall be pressed into standard 3.5 ounce (99.2g) bars and packaged 144 bars to a case.
10. MARKING / LABELING:
10.1. Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container of shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Order number or contract number.
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. LABELING: Each container shall bear a durable label containing the name of the product and instructions for use, including required precautionary statements.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to a bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Soap complying with this specification not only is an excellent toilet soap for personal cleanliness, but also has lasting deodorant capability. The latter is contributed by a germicidal ingredient of proven effectiveness in inhibiting the growth of odor causing bacteria.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1. The number of this specification (485-86-06B).
13.2. The quantity required (number of cases).
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P. O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047