Texas Specification No. 485-86-04A
Effective Date: August 31, 1982
Reformatted: February 20, 1997
SOAP, BAR, MECHANICS, (GRIT)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a grit soap especially suitable for removing grease or other heavy soil from the hands.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 460 -- 1991-- Method for Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Soaps and Soap Products.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS: Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O.Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-48-11 -- Soap Base, Tallow-Coconut, Particle Form, Grade B.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-02-02A -- Pumice, Ground.
3. CLASSIFICATION: The soap bar shall be classified by chemical content.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: Soap furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements: The soap shall be produced by the skillful application of modern technology and equipment to raw material of high quality. It shall conform to generally accepted commercial standards pertaining to such qualities as feel, freedom from cracking and lathering ability. It shall be perfumed and colored in a manner selected by the manufacturer.
5.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be compounded as shown in Table No. One.
TABLE NO. ONE
|Ingredients||Percent by Weight Minimum||Percent by Weight Maximum||Texas Specification No.|
|Soap Base, Tallow-Coconut||69.0||70.0||180-48-11|
5.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table No. Two when tested by methods cited in Paragraph 6.1.
TABLE NO. TWO
|Total moisture and volatiles, pbw||8.0||6.1.1.|
|Salt (NaCL), pbw||1.0||6.1.3.|
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on product from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Tests: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Total Moisture and Volatiles: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with Paragraph 5.3.
6.1.2. Alkalinity: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with Paragraph 5.3.
6.1.3. Salt (NaCL): Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460 and determine compliance with Paragraph 5.3.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING AND/OR PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be n accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9.1. Packing: The soap shall be pressed into standard 4.2 ounce (119g) bars, and packaged 144 bars to a case.
10. MARKING AND/OR LABELING:
10.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.2. Quantity contained.
10.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Order number or contract number.
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. Labeling: Each container shall bear a durable label containing the name of the product and instructions for use, including required precautionary statements.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to a bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. Product Identification: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. Exceptions: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. Proof: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with the specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Soap complying with this specification is an effective hand soap, especially formulated for removal of grease and greasy soil; yet mild enough for general washroom use.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1. The number of this specification (485-86-04A).
13.2. The quantity required (number of cases).
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P.O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047