Texas Specification No. 485-84-01B
Effective Date: July 23, 1993
Reformatted: February 12, 1996
CLEANER, ACID TYPE (LIME DEPOSIT REMOVER), CONCENTRATE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for an acidic cleaning compound in concentrated liquid form, suitable for loosening and removing limestone scale from kitchen and bathroom equipment.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM E 70 -- Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.1.2. ASTM G 31 -- Practice for Laboratory Immersion Corrosion Testing of Metals.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P. O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-04-02A -- Phosphoric Acid, 85%, Technical Grade.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-92-11A -- Surfactant, Sodium Xylenesulfonate (40% Active).
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-93-02A --Surfactant, Nonionic - Nonylphenoxy (Polyethoxy) Ethanol.
3. CLASSIFICATION: The cleaner shall be classified by composition (See Table 1).
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements: The product shall be clear, homogeneous liquid at ordinary temperatures, free from sediment or suspended matter.
5.2. Composition: The product shall be compounded from ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications where applicable, in the proportions specified in Table 1 to a tolerance of ± 0.5 percent by weight (pbw) of the individual component.
|Ingredient||Percent by Weight||Texas Specification No.|
|1. Phosphoric Acid 85%||42.0||180-04-02A|
|2. Hydroxyacetic Acid 70%||5.0||--|
|3. Nonylphenoxy (Polyethoxy) Ethanol||1.0||180-93-02A|
|4. Sodium Xylenesulfonate, 40%||2.5||180-92-11A|
5.3. Physical and Chemical Properties: The product shall conform to the requirements specified in Table 2, when tested as indicated.
PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
|1. Total acidity, meg/g||7.5||--||7.1.|
|2. Specific gravity, 60/60 °F||1.222||--||7.2.|
|3. pH in 1% aqueous solution at 25 °C||1.6||--||ASTM E 70|
|4. Corrosivity for steel, mg per dm2/day||--||25||ASTM G 31|
|5. Solution Stability||Pass||--||7.5.|
6. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
7. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7.1. The products furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
7.1.1. Total Acidity: Weigh accurately into a 250 ml Erlenmeyer flask a sample of approximately one gram concentrated cleaner. Dilute with 100 ml deionized water. Titrate to the phenolphthalein end point with standardized 0.2 N sodium hydroxide. Determine total acidity: meg / g = ml NaOH x N / g sample
7.1.2. Specific Gravity: Determine by a hydrometer or pycnometer method.
7.1.3. pH: Prepare a 1% solution of the concentrate in distilled or deionized water. Determine pH by the procedure of ASTM E 70.
7.1.4. Corrosivity: Corrosion tests shall be run in duplicate in accordance with the guidelines of ASTM G 31, using type 304 stainless steel coupons immersed in a product sample diluted to the highest strength recommended on the label. Determine corrosion rate: Mg per dm2 / day = 2400 x mg weight loss / (cm2 area x hr)
7.1.5. Solution Stability: Immerse a 100 ml sample of concentrate contained in a stoppered clear glass bottle for one hour in an ice bath. Remove the sample, and inspect it for cloudiness or other loss of homogeneity. If the product remains clear, liquid, and homogeneous, it passes.
7.1.6. Certification: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the vendor shall provide technical data sheets from the manufacturer and material safety data (use OSHA form).
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9.1. Storage: Safe and proper handling and disposal shall be indicated.
10. MARKING / LABELING:
10.1. MARKING: Each shipment container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Order number or contract number.
10.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10.2. LABELING: Each product container shall have a securely affixed and durable label.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: This acid type cleaner is effective for removing limestone scale, rust stains, hard water soap scum, and similar materials which are resistant to ordinary detergents. Areas of use may include dishwashing machines, steam tables, coffee urns, nursing bottles, bathtubs, shower stalls, toilet bowls, urinals, wash basins, drinking fountains, and animal cages. Following instructions on the label for dilution of the concentrate and precautions.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1. The number of this specification ((485-84-01C).
13.2. The quantity required, in multiples of 6 gallons.
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047