Texas Specification No. 485-72-03A
Effective Date: March 1, 1995
Reformatted: February 12, 1996
MOP HEADS, RAYON, WET
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for removable, rayon yarn mop heads to be used with clamp handles for wet mopping.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS: General Services Administration, Specifications 470 E. L'Enfant Plaza SW, #1800, Washington, D.C., 20407:
2.1.1. Federal Standard 191 A -- Textile Test Methods.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Mop heads shall be classified into five sizes designed to fit clamp handles.
|Size in ounces|
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General: The mop heads shall be uniform in thickness, manufactured in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2. Construction: The mop heads shall be secured in the middle by a cotton twill band. The band shall completely encircle the mop yarn with the band ends overlapping at least 1.5 inches. The yarn and the band shall be securely sewed together by machine with a suitable cord thread and with six parallel rows of stitching grouped into three pairs of equally spaced rows. One double row of stitching shall pass through the center of the band and one double row shall pass along each edge of the band. The stitching shall be done with either a single or double chain or lock stitching machine. Each row of stitching shall contain not less than five stitches per inch. Bands shall have woven edges, selvage edges, or edges folded under and sewed along the entire length so that raw edges shall be covered. Yarn construction shall be as listed in Table 2.
|Weight (oz.) Minimum||Number of Yarns||Width at Center (In.) Minimum||Width at Center (In.) Maximum||Length of Yarns (In. not Folded) Minimum||Length of Yarns (In. not Folded) Maximum|
Note: Tolerances ± 3%.
5.3. Material Requirements:
5.3.1. Mop Head Yarn: Yarn shall be made from 100% viscose rayon fibers. The rayon shall contain no mill wastes. The yarn shall be free from sizing or any other loading material. Yarn ends shall be squarely cut. The finished mop yarn shall meet the following when tested by Federal Standard 191A:
|Plies per yarn||8.00|
|Yards per pound||100.00|
|Twists per inch||1.30|
|Breaking strength, dry||110 pounds|
5.3.2. Bands: The center band of the mop heads shall be of cotton twill or drill meeting the following:
|Weave||Two up and one down, twill or drill|
|Weight||9.0 oz./sq. yd.|
|Yarns per inch||68 warp (sley), 43 filling|
|Plies|| Warp yarn: two ply
Filling yarn: single
6. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
7. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All mop heads shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship and performance for a minimum of one year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/units at no cost to the State of Texas.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment because of rough or improper handling.
10.1. Packaging: Mop heads shall be tied approximately one inch from the yarn ends to retain shape. Mop heads shall be packaged 12 to a bundle.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipment container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. LABELING: Mops shall be labeled with the name or trademark of the manufacturer.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a description of the product being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification ((485-72-03A).
14.2. The size required.
14.3. Quantity required, in multiples of one dozen.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047