Texas Specification No. 485-72-02A
Effective Date: March 1, 1995
Reformatted: February 12, 1996
MOPS, STICK, COTTON, WET
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for lightweight, cotton stick mops for wet mopping.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS: General Services Administration, Specifications 470 E. L'Enfant Plaza SW, #1800, Washington, D.C., 20407:
2.1.1. Federal Standard 191 A -- Textile Test Methods.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Mops shall be classified into seven sizes with fixed handles.
|Head Size in ounces||Handle Length in inches|
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General: The mop heads shall be uniform in thickness, manufactured in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2. Construction: The mop heads shall be firmly attached to the handle with wire. The wire shall be firmly secured to the handle with a 3/4" nail passing through a looped end of the wire; the nail or anchor shall be located 1-1/2" from the handle end. The wire shall be tightly wrapped two to three times around the handle at the point of anchor. The cotton yarns shall be uniformly distributed around the handle periphery. the anchored wire shall be tightly, spirally wrapped for six revolutions around the cotton yarns for a linear distance of 2.5 inches. the cotton yarns shall be uniformly folded back at an angle of 180 degrees, thereby covering the spirally would wire and forming the outside surface of the mop. the wire shall pass through the yarn and be tightly and closely wound around the outside of the mop head (four wire strands) within 1.5 inches of the upper folded edge of the mop. The end of the wire shall be anchored by a 1.5 inch nail located at the edge of the outer wire winding.
Yarn construction of mop heads shall be as listed in Table 2.
|Weight (oz.) Minimum||Length of Yarns (In. not Folded) Minimum||Length of Yarns (In. not Folded) Maximum|
5.2.1. Mop Handle: All stick mop handles shall be smoothly finished with two coats of clear or pigmented lacquers. Diameter shall be 15/16" ± 1/16".
5.3. Material Requirements:
5.3.1. Mop Head Yarn: Yarn shall be made from Low Middling or Strict Good Ordinary cotton, or a blend of both, having a minimum staple length of 15/16". The cotton shall contain no mill wastes. The yarn shall be free from sizing or any other loading material. Yarn ends shall be squarely cut. The finished mop yarn shall meet the following when tested by Federal Standard 191 A:
|Plies per yarn||8.00|
|Yards per pound||110.00|
|Twists per inch||1.30|
|Breaking strength, dry||60 pounds|
5.3.2. Mop Handles: Handles shall be straight, straight grained, well sanded, made from seasoned fir or southern yellow pine or hardwood, free from knots, splinters, pitch, splits, and other imperfections. The moisture content shall not exceed 15%.
5.3.3. Mop Wire: Wire shall be galvanized or tinned steel not less than NO. 18-1/2 American Wire Gauge.
6. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
7. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All mop heads shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship and performance for a minimum of one year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/units at no cost to the State of Texas.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment because of rough or improper handling.
10.1. Packaging: Mops shall be tied approximately one inch from the yarn ends to retain shape. Mops shall be packaged 12 to a bundle.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipment container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. LABELING: Mops shall be labeled with the name or trademark of the manufacturer.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a description of the product being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification ((485-72-02A).
14.2. The size required.
14.3. Quantity required, in multiples of one dozen.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047