Texas Specification No. 485-70-04A
Effective Date: August 31, 1985
Reformatted: February 12, 1996
FRAME AND HANDLE (FOR WIRE FRAME TYPE DUST MOP)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for wire dust mop frame assemblies and handles. These requirements are based on general industry standards and are intended to provide State agencies with high quality mop frames and handles to be used on push mops for dusting floors.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Wire frames covered under this specification shall be classified into 12 sizes which are identified by size reference numbers derived from combining one of two widths and one of six lengths as shown in Table 1.
3.1. Width: The frames shall be either 3.5" wide or 5.0" wide, with the width being defined as the narrowest dimension of the wire frame.
3.2. Length: The frame shall be offered in six lengths (longest dimension) which are listed in Table 1.
SIZE REFERENCE NUMBERS
|Width of Frame||16 " Length Frame||18" Length Frame||20" Length Frame||24" Length Frame||36" Length Frame||48" Length Frame|
|3.5 "||3.5 x 16||3.5 x 18||3.5 x 20||3.5 x 24||3.5 x 36||3.5 x 48|
|5.0"||5 x 16||5 x 18||5 x 20||5 x 24||5 x 36||5 x 48|
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5.1. General: Mop head frames and handles shall be made in accordance with the best commercial practices and finished in a workmanlike manner.
5.2.1. Frame: The frame shall be constructed to yield an elongated elliptical loop of 1/4" diameter steel wire which will hold the mop head. (The size of this loop shall be as specified in Table 1.) The actual construction may take any form that yields a rigid, durable unit that will provide maximum service from the appropriate mop head. Typically, a base plate or plates shall be formed completely around the center or equidistant from the center of this wire loop and spotwelded or staked to form a rigid unit. In the approximate center of the wire loop, either on a centered base plate or on an inset portion of the wire loop as illustrated in Figure 1, one end of a swivel mechanism shall be attached. The other end of the swivel shall be attached to the handle by means of a threaded sleeve or by a stove bolt and wing nut. The swiveling mechanism shall allow the mop head to swivel in four directions. Other design configurations that result in the correct dimensions and performance capabilities shall also be considered. The final product shall be similar to Figure 1. All steel parts shall be galvanized.
5.2.2. Handle: The handle shall be constructed of approved wood 15/16" in diameter and 54" long. The surface shall be well sanded, sealed and finished with a clear gloss lacquer. The end connecting to the frame shall be threaded, shaped to receive a handle sleeve and drilled to accommodate the mounting bolt or otherwise configured to be attached to the frame.
5.3. Material Requirements: The materials used in the construction of mop head frames and handles shall be as follows:
5.3.1. Frame: Minimum 1/4" diameter galvanized steel wire for the mop head supporting frame.
5.3.2. Base Plate: Minimum 22 gauge galvanized sheet steel shall be used for the base plate.
5.3.3. Handle Sleeve: Galvanized steel tube, drilled for handle mounting bolt or cast aluminum threaded for the handle.
5.3.4. Handle: Pine or hardwood; sealed and finished with clear gloss lacquer.
5.3.5. Swivel Head: A galvanized steel and/or cast aluminum swivel mechanism shall connect the base plate to the handle. The head shall be capable of swiveling in all four directions.
6. WARRANTY: Finished products and all components shall be guaranteed for normal use against defects and failure in materials, workmanship, and performance. The guarantee shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard warranty, except that in no event shall such coverage be for less than one year on the finished product or any component. Defective units shall be repaired or replaced during the warranty period at no cost to the State of Texas for parts or labor.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
8. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
9. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment because of rough or improper handling.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipment container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. LABELING: Each product shall bear a securely affixed label, around the lower part of the handle, containing the following data:
11.2.1. The frame size reference number.
11.2.2. The name and address of the manufacturer.
12.1. Product Literature: Bidder shall submit with each bid a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
12.2. Cleaning and Care Instructions: The vendor shall furnish the ordering agency with one copy of care and cleaning instruction for each carton of 12 mop head frames delivered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification ((485-70-04A).
14.2. The size reference number.
14.3. Quantity required of each size.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047