Texas Specification No. 485-70-03A
Effective Date: August 31, 1985
Reformatted: February 12, 1996
BLOCK (WOOD), FRAME AND HANDLE FOR DUST MOP
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for nine (9) sizes of wood blocks, frames and handles for rectangular cotton dust mop heads.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Wood blocks, frames and handles furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. Sizes: The nine (9) sizes of wood blocks, frames and handles, based on length of wood block, are as follows:
12 inch 30 inch 48 inch
18 inch 36 inch 60 inch
24 inch 42 inch 72 inch
4.2. Materials: (See Table 1 for dimensions and other data.)
4.2.1. Block: The block shall be made of hardwood and have tapered ends. All surfaces of the block shall be sanded to a smooth surface, sealed, and coated with a clear gloss lacquer.
4.2.2. Handle: Hardwood; sealed, and finished with clear gloss lacquer.
4.2.3. Wire for Handle and Brace Frame: Galvanized steel wire; 6 gauge on 12" size and 4 gauge on all larger sizes.
4.2.4. Handle Sleeve: Cold rolled, electric welded, galvanized steel tubing (See Table 1 for dimensions).
4.2.5. Hardware: The hardware shall consist of 3/8" x 1-3/8" hex head bolts, 3/8" hex head bolts, 3/8" flat washers and 3/8" wing nuts, all electro-galvanized.
4.3. Physical Requirements: The wood block, frame and handle shall conform to the physical requirements in the following Table 1.
|Physical Requirements||12 inch||18 inch||24 inch||30 inch||36 inch||42 inch||48 inch||60 inch||72 inch|
|Block: Width, ± 1/16"||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8||2-3/8|
|Block: Thickness, ± 1/16"||3/4||3/4||3/4||3/4||3/4||3/4||3/4||1.00||1.00|
|Block: Length, ± 1/4"||12.00||18.00||24.00||30.00||36.00||42.00||48.00||60.00||72.00|
|Bolt Holes: Diameter, inches||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8|
|Bolt Holes: Space between Holes, Center to Center, ± 1/16", Inner Holes||7-1/4||9-7/8||9-7/8||9-7/8||9-7/8||9-7/8||9-7/8||9-7/8||9-7/8|
|Bolt Holes: Space between Holes, Center to Center, ± 1/16", Outer Holes||--||--||18.00||20-3/8||20-3/8||20-3/8||20-3/8||32.00||32.00|
|Handle Frame: Length, inches, ± 1/4"||24.00||29-1/2||29-1/2||29-1/2||29-1/2||29-1/2||29-1/2||29-1/2||29-1/2|
|Handle Frame: Galvanized Wire, gauge||6.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00|
|Handle Brace: Length, inches, ± 1/4"||--||--||43-1/2||43-1/2||43-1/2||43-1/2||43-1/2||60.00||60.00|
|Handle Brace: Galvanized Wire, gauge||--||--||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00|
|Handle Sleeve: Length, inches, ± 1/16"||1-1/2||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00|
|Handle Sleeve: Outside Diameter, inches||1.00||1-1/4||1-1/4||1-1/4||1-1/4||1-1/4||1-1/4||1-1/4||1-1/4|
|Handle Sleeve: Galvanized Steel Tube, Wall Thickness, inches||.035||.065||.065||.065||.065||.065||.065||.065||.065|
|Handle: Length, inches, ± 1/2"||54.00||54.00||54.00||54.00||54.00||54.00||54.00||54.00||54.00|
|Handle: Diameter, inches||15/16||1-1/8||1-1/8||1-1/8||1-1/8||1-1/8||1-1/8||1-1/8||1-1/8|
|Hardware: Number of Bolts||2.00||2.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00|
|Hardware: Diameter of Bolts, inches||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8|
|Hardware: Length of Bolts, inches||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8||1-3/8|
4.4. Construction: The hardwood block, with tapered ends, has two (2) 3/8" countersunk holes drilled through the block on 12" and 18" sizes, and four (4) countersunk holes in the larger size blocks. The holes are spaced equidistantly from the center of the block, with the two outer holes along the median line and the two inner holes 3/4" from the outer edge. Two (2) triangular shaped galvanized wires form the handle frame and the handle brace. Two (2) corners of the handle frame are firmly attached to the block by two (2) 3/8" bolts with washers and nuts. The handle frame is securely attached to the end of the handle by a galvanized steel handle sleeve. The handle brace is employed on sizes 24" to 72", inclusive. Like the frame brace, it is firmly attached to the block by two (2) 3/8" bolts, with washers and wing nuts, through the two (2) outer holes in the block. It is securely attached to the handle by two (2) tight turns of the wire.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. The block and hardware shall be wrapped separately from handle and frame. They shall be packed with the blocks and hardware in burlap material and the frames and handles also wrapped in burlap material.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipment container shall be clearly marked with:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: A label, firmly glued around the lower part of each handle adjacent to the head, shall contain the following data:
9.2.1. The size of the wood block, frame and handle (See Table 1).
9.2.2. The name of the manufacturer.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification ((485-70-03A).
11.2. The quantity of each size of wood block, frame and handle desired (See Table 1 and order in multiples of one (1) dozen).
12. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047