Texas Specification No. 485-70-02C
Effective Date: October 6, 1989
Reformatted: February 12, 1996
MOP HEADS, COTTON, DUSTING, 5-INCH WIRE TYPE, DRY
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for preshrunk cotton yarn mop heads which are used on wire type holders. These requirements are based on general industry standards and are intended to provide State agencies with high quality mop heads for use on push mops for dusting floors.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONS, Superintendent , U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20407:
2.1.1. No. V-T-276H -- Cotton Thread.
2.1.2. Federal Standard 191A -- Textile Test Methods.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Mop heads covered under this specification shall be constructed of preshrunk cotton yarn and designed to fit 5-inch wire type holders used on push mops. They shall be classified into six sizes as follows:
3.1. Sizes: These six sizes shall be referred to by the Mop Head Size Number which corresponds to the length of the wire frame to be fitted. These sizes are listed in Table 1.
MOP HEAD SIZES
|Mop Head Size Number||Length of Frame (inches) Minimum||Length of Mop Head ± 1/2 inch|
Note: The width of the frame shall be 5 inches.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements: The removable mop heads shall be made in accordance with the best commercial practices and finished in a workmanlike manner.
5.2. Construction: There shall be four (4) equal spaced rows of center yarn with each sewn to the backing by a double needle lockstitch. There shall be a minimum of 7 stitches per inch. This sewing shall not cause looping of the yarn. The length of the center yarn shall be 4 to 5 inches, providing 2 to 2.5 inches of the yarn on each side of the stitching. The fringe yarn shall be sewn under the outer edge of the backing by a double needle lockstitch with a minimum of 7 stitches per inch. The length of the fringe yarn shall be 5 to 6 inches, providing 3.5 to 4 inches on the outside and 2.5 to 3 inches on the inside of the stitching. The backing shall be one piece, folded at the ends and sides, thus forming a lower and upper part. The outside finished width of the backing shall be 5.5 inches while the inside finished width of the backing shall be 5 inches. The upper part shall be open almost the entire length of the mop to facilitate the insertions of the rectangular wooden mop block. The laps at the ends shall overlap the opening for a distance of at least one inch on each end to help hold the wire frame in place. The sewing along the outer edges shall be with a double needle lockstitch which attaches to the backing. Similar stitching attaching the end fringe of the yarn to the outer edge shall be used. The edges of the center opening in the upper part of the backing and inner edges of overlap shall be hemmed with one row of lockstitching. All points of strain in the backing shall be bar tacked for added strength. Each pair of nylon tie tapes shall be bar tacked at corresponding points on each side of the lenticular opening. The pairs of ties shall be equally spaced along the length of the opening. The pairs of ties shall be equally spaced along the length of the opening. The minimum number of pairs of tie tapes on each size mop head shall be as listed in Table 2.
PAIRS OF NYLON TIE TAPES
|Frame Size||Minimum Number|
5.3. Material Requirements: The materials used in the construction of mop heads shall be as follows:
5.3.1. Mop Head Yarn: Mop head yarn shall be as follows:
MOP HEAD YARN
|Yarn Number||10 ply/5|
|Non-fibrous content, %, maximum||3.0|
|Yarns per pound, range||378 - 420|
|Twists/inch of plied yarn, minimum||2.30|
|Breaking Strength: 10 gauge, single end break (average of 50 yarns), pounds, minimum||28.00|
|Color of Yarn||Natural or Bleached|
5.3.2. Backing: The backing shall be preshrunk synthetic cloth fabric mesh with the following minimum requirements:
|Type||Synthetic Flat (Polyester)|
|Weave||11 Wales, 36 courses|
|Yarn Ply Warp||1.00|
|Yarn Ply Filling||1.00|
|Breaking Strength : Warp, pounds, minimum||285.00|
|Breaking Strength: Filling, pounds, minimum||270.00|
|Shrinkage, Warp and Filling, Percent Total, maximum||2.00|
|Non-fibrous content, Percent, maximum||7.5.|
5.3.3. Thread: The cotton thread used in making mop heads shall be 4 cord, ticket No. 12 for the needle and shall not be finer than 4 cord, ticket No. 20 for the bobbin. It shall meet the requirements for Type I A1 for Federal Specification V-T-276.
5.3.4. Tie Tapes: The tie tape shall meet the following minimum requirements:
|Width, inches||1/2 ( + 1/8, - 1/32)|
|Weight per 1000 yards, pound, minimum||4.00|
|Interlaced Pattern||2/1 Herringbone|
|Number of Yarns/inch, total ends, minimum||104.00|
|Breaking Strength, pounds, minimum||135.00|
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. WARRANTY: All mop heads shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship and performance for a minimum of one year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/units at no cost to the State of Texas.
9. INSTRUCTIONAL LITERATURE:
9.1. CLEANING AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS: The vendor shall furnish the ordering agency with one copy of care and cleaning instructions for each bundle of 12 mop heads delivered.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment because of rough or improper handling.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipment container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. LABELING: Utility brooms shall be labeled with the name or trademark of the manufacturer.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a description of the product being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification ((485-70-02C).
14.2. The grade required.
14.3. The size required.
14.4. The quantity required of each grade and size.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047