Texas Specification No. 485-60-01B
Effective Date: November 30, 1984
Reformatted: February 7, 1996
INSECTICIDE, HOUSEHOLD, LIQUID, NONRESIDUAL (PYRETHRIN)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a household grade of insect spray for use against flies and mosquitoes in an institutional environment.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadephlia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 56 -- Standard Test Method for Flash Point by Tag Closed Tester.
2.1.2. ASTM D 1544 -- Standard Test Method for Color of Transparent Liquids (Gardner Color Scale).
2.2. COMPILATION OF OFFICIAL BIOASSAY METHODS AND CHEMICAL ANALYSIS TEST METHODS (CSMA), Chemical Specialties Manufacturers Association, Inc., New York, 1963.
2.3. TEXAS PESTICIDE LAWS AND REGULATIONS, Texas Department of Agriculture, P.O. Box 12847, Austin, TX 78711-2847:
3.1. General Definitions: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Insecticide furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. General Requirements: The product shall be a clear, homogeneous solution in a volatile hydrocarbon carrier, suitable for use with either hand spray or mechanical equipment.
4.2. Residual Odor: The product shall leave no objectionable odor in the treated area under conditions of normal ventilation after 16 hours from time of application.
4.3. Test Requirements: the physical properties of both grades shall conform to the limits given in Table 1, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|1. Flash Point, Tag Closed Cup, °F ( °C)||122 (50)||--||6.1.|
|2. Color, Gardner||--||3||6.2.|
|3. Specific Gravity, 60/60 °F (15/15 °C)||0.78||0.81||6.3.|
4.4. Chemical Composition:
4.4.1. The product shall be compounded from ingredients taken from each of the following categories:
22.214.171.124. Natural pyrethrins extracted from chrysanthemums (synthetic pyrethroids are not acceptable.)
126.96.36.199. Piperonyl butoxide, technical (A second synergist of recognized effectiveness may optionally be added.)
188.8.131.52. A petroleum distillate such as a low odor kerosene suitable as a carrier for the other ingredients, amounting to at least 79% by weight of the total formulation.
4.4.2. The weight ratio of total synergists to pyrethrins shall be at least 5:1.
4.4.3. The range of total pyrethrin content, when tested in accordance with Paragraph 6.4., shall be 0.15 - 0.18 percent by weight.
4.5. Insecticidal Effectiveness: Product furnished under this specification shall receive an AA rating when tested for effectiveness against houseflies in accordance with Paragraph 6.5.
4.6. Registration: The product shall be covered by a current registration with the Texas Department of Agriculture, under the provisions of the Texas Pesticide Control Law.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Test: Compliance with the requirements of Table 1 shall be determined by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Flash Point: Determine by the procedure of ASTM D 56.
6.1.2. Color: Determine by the procedure of ASTM D 1544.
6.1.3. Specific Gravity: Determine by either a hydrometer or a pycnometer method, as convenient.
6.1.4. Chemical Composition: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.3. by standard methods of gas chromatography.
6.1.5. Insecticidal Effectiveness: Determine compliance with Paragraph 4.5. by the Peet-Grady Method (Official method of the CSMA for Evaluating Liquid Household Insecticides).
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids.
8.1. Products furnished under this specification shall be packaged in containers of one or more of the following types and sizes, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids.
8.1.1. One (1) gallon cans.
8.1.2. Five (5) gallon (18.9) cans.
8.1.3. 55 gallon drums.
8.2. Packing for shipment shall conform to the regulations of the Department of Transportation for transportation of hazardous substances.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each package shall bear a securely affixed and durable label approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
9.2. Each shipping container shall be legibly marked with the following information:
9.2.1. Order number or contract number.
9.2.2. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.2.3. Agency requisition number.
10. BIDDING INFORMATION:
10.1. Product Data: The bidder shall furnish with his bid printed evidence that his product conforms to this specification. Such evidence shall be in the form of a product label and/or technical literature completely describing the product which he proposes to furnish.
10.2. Basis for the Award: Bids will be evaluated on the basis of cast per pound of contained pyrethrin, which is the principal insecticidal ingredient. The figure will be calculated by the formula:
dollars per pound of pyrethrin = dollars per gallon x 12
% pyrethrin x specific gravity
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11.4. REGISTRATION: The product furnished shall be registered with the Texas Commission of Agriculture in accordance with the applicable Texas pesticide laws and regulations.
12. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
12.1. The number of this specification (485-60-01B).
12.2. The size of container required.
12.3. The quantity required, in U.S. gallons.
13. USER INFORMATION: Insecticide conforming to this specification is of a type which is widely used for killing flies, mosquitoes, and other small flying insects by spraying from hand operated or mechanical equipment. Use in food preparation areas in accordance with precautions on the label. A product of this grade is not strong enough for extermination of roaches, spiders, centipedes, scorpions, and other crawling pests. A high strength product should be used for this purpose, and applied by certified pesticide application personnel.
Note: The active ingredients are relatively nontoxic to humans and domestic animals under normal conditions of use; however, reasonable care should be taken to avoid spray inhalation or liquid contact with the skin. Containers should be kept out of the hands of children and others who may suffer serious injury from drinking the liquid. Follow label instructions for safety precautions and application rates.
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047