Texas Specification No. 485-38-04A
Effective Date: April 29, 1983
Reformatted: February 7, 1996
DISHWASHING LIQUID FOR HAND USE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a concentrated liquid detergent composition to be used in washing dishes and kitchen utensils by hand.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadephlia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM E 70 -- Standard Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-54-02A -- Foam Stabilizer - Coco Diethanolmide.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-58-02A -- Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) - Liquid, 50%.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-92-06A -- Surfactant - Ammonium N Alkyl Polyether Sulfate.
2.2.4. Texas Specification No. 180-92-09A -- Surfactant - Nonylphenoxy (polyethoxy) Ethanol.
2.2.5. Texas Specification No. 180-92-11A -- Surfactant - Sodium Xylenesulfonate (40% Active).
2.2.6. Texas Specification No. 180-92-12A -- Surfactant - Linear Alkylate Sulfonic Acid.
3.1. General Definitions: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Dishwashing liquid furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. General Requirements: The product shall be an attractively colored, moderately viscous, translucent or nearly opaque liquid. It shall produce stable suds when added to water, and aid in the efficient removal of organic soils from dishes and utensils.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be a uniformly blended mixture of ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications, in the amounts specified in Table 1.
|Ingredient||Minimum||Maximum||Texas Specification No.|
|1. Linear alkylate sulfonic acid, pbw||19.0||21.0||180-92-12A|
|2. Sodium hydroxide, 50%, pbw||4.8||5.2||180-58-02A|
|3. Sodium xylenesulfonate, 40%, pbw||4.8||5.2||180-92-11A|
|4. Nonylphenoxy (polyethoxy) ethanol, pbw||4.80||5.20||180-92-09A|
|5. Coco diethanolamide, pbw||4.80||5.20||180-54-02A|
|6. Ammonium n-alkyl polyether sulfate, pbw||13.0||15.0||180-92-06A|
Note: Additional ingredients shall include minor amounts of dyes, perfumes, and opacifying agent, and soft water to bring the total to 100 pbw.
4.3. pH: A 0.1% solution of the product in distilled water shall have a pH in the range 6.5 - 7.5, when tested in accordance with Paragraph 6.
4.4. Total Solids: The product shall have a total solids content not lower than 40.0 pbw when tested in accordance with Paragraph 6.2.
4.5. Stability: the product shall remain homogeneous and free from solid particles when tested at high and low temperatures in accordance with Paragraph 6.3.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Test: Compliance with the requirements of Table 1 shall be determined by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. pH: Obtain a one ml test sample of the product by volumetric pipette, and dilute to one liter with distilled or deionized water. Measure pH of the resulting solution by the procedure of ASTM E 70, and determine compliance with Paragraph 4.3.
6.1.2. Total Solids: Accurately weigh a 5 gram sample into an evaporating dish, and heat to constant weight in an oven held at 105 ± 1 °C. Calculate percent by weight of the sample remaining after evaporation of volatile matter, and determine compliance with Paragraph 4.4.
6.1.3. Stability: Place each of two 100 ml product samples in a tightly sealed container, and test for stability under the following conditions:
22.214.171.124. Heat Stability: Hold one sample at 50 ± 1 °C (122 ± 2 °F) for 24 hours in a laboratory oven. To pass Paragraph 4.5., the sample must show no sign of stratification into layers of different composition.
126.96.36.199. Low Temperature Stability: Hold the other sample at -9.5 ± 1 °C (14 ± 2 °F) for 16 hours in a refrigerator. Allow to stand undisturbed for 6 hours at room temperature. Examine for signs of stratification or other loss of homogeneity, and determine compliance with Paragraph 4.5.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids.
8.1. Packing: The product shall be packaged in one of the following types of containers, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids:
8.1.1. One (1) quart plastic bottles, packed 12 to a case.
8.1.2. One (1) gallon plastic jugs, packed 6 to a case.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents, including brand name, if any.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
9.2.1. Name of the product, including brand name, if any.
9.2.2. Name and address of the manufacturer.
9.2.3. Net contents.
9.2.4. Instructions for use, including precautionary statements as required by governmental regulations.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. PRODUCT INFORMATION: When used in accordance with instructions on the label, a product conforming to the specification is an effective detergent for use in cleaning dinner ware and kitchen utensils made of glass, ceramics, plastics, silver, stainless steel, etc. Due to the nearly neutral pH of the use dilution, little or no skin irritation should result from prolonged contact with the hands.
12. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
12.1. The number of this specification (485-38-04A).
12.2. The size of container required.
12.3. The total quantity required.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047