Texas Specification No. 485-38-03B
Effective Date: August 12, 1983
Reformatted: February 6, 1996
DISHWASHING COMPOUND, CHLORINATED, FOR MACHINE USE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a granular detergent for use in dishwashing machines, containing a source of active chlorine.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 2022 -- Standard Methods of Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Chlorine Containing Bleaches.
2.1.2. ASTM E 70 -- Standard Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-24-03A -- Sodium Sesquicarbonate.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-36-01B -- Chlorine Carrier, Organic - Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-74-03B -- Sodium Tripolyphosphate.
2.2.4. Texas Specification No. 180-84-02A -- Sodium Metasilicate.
2.2.5. Texas Specification No. 180-92-03A -- Surfactant, Nonionic, Low Foaming, Liquid.
3.1. General Definitions: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Dishwashing compound furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. General Requirements: The product shall be a thoroughly blended mixture of fine solid particles, free from lumps or cakes.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be formulated from ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications, in the amounts ( ± 0.2%) given in Table 1.
|Raw Material||Percent by Weight||Texas Specification No.|
|1. Sodium tripolyphosphate||50.0||180-74-03B|
|2. Sodium Sesquicarbonate||27.5||180-24-03A|
|3. Sodium Metasilicate||15.0||180-84-02A|
|4. Surfactant, nonionic, low foaming||3.5||180-92-03A|
| 5. Chlorine carrier, organic -
Note: The chlorine carrier should be mixed into the formulation last, after the liquid component has been absorbed as thoroughly as possible by the other dry components.
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 2, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|1. Available chlorine pbw||1.5||2.5||6.1.|
|2. pH in 1% solution||10.7||11.3||6.2.|
|3. Total alkalinity as Na2O, pbw||26||29||6.3.|
|4. Foam Volume at 50 ± 0.5 °C, ml, initial||--||50||6.4.|
|5. Foam Volume at 50 ± 0.5 °C, ml, after 30 seconds||--||10.00||6.4.|
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Test: Compliance with the requirements of Table 1 shall be determined by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Available Chlorine: Determine in a 5 gram sample by the procedure of ASTM D 2022, Paragraphs 48 and 49, in which standard sodium arsenate solution is used to react with the available chlorine, and the excess is titrated with standard iodine solution.
6.1.2. pH of 1% Solution: Weigh out accurately 5.00 gram sample of product into a small beaker. Transfer the sample quantitatively to a 500 ml volumetric flask, dissolve in distilled water, and dilute to the mark. Using a portion of the resulting 1% solution, determine the pH by the procedure of ASTM E 70.
6.1.3. Total Alkalinity: Transfer a 50 ml aliquot of the above 1% solution to an Erlenmeyer flask, add one ml of 30% hydrogen peroxide, and swirl until evolution of oxygen gas ceases. Titrate with standard 0.1 N HCl to the methyl orange end point, and determine the result by using the formula:
% Na2O = ml titrant x normality x 6.2
6.1.4. Foam Volume at 50 °C: Transfer 50 ml of 1% solution to a 250 ml graduated cylinder. Heat some distilled water to the boiling point, and use it for diluting the sample in the cylinder to 100 ml. When the diluted solution has cooled to 52 °C, stopper the cylinder and agitate the contents for one minute. This shall be done by smoothly rotating the cylinder about its midpoint to the inverted position and back again 30 times. Read foam volume in the unstoppered cylinder immediately after agitation, and after 30 seconds.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids.
8.1. Packing: The dishwashing compound shall be packaged in plastic lined containers of the following types and sizes, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids.
8.1.1. Five (5) pound pasteboard boxes, packed 10 to a carton
8.1.2. 100 pound fiberboard drums.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents, including brand name, if any.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
9.2.1. Name of the product, including brand name, if any.
9.2.2. Name and address of the manufacturer.
9.2.3. Net contents.
9.2.4. Instructions for use, including precautionary statements as required by governmental regulations.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. PRODUCT INFORMATION: When used in accordance with instruction on the label, a product conforming to the specification is an effective machine dishwashing detergent for kitchenware and tableware, including china, glass, plastic, stainless steel, brass, or aluminum (but not anodized aluminum). It also removes stains from fruit juice and other sources by bleaching action. To prevent loss of strength on exposure to air and moisture, reclose the container and its inner liner as tightly as possible.
12. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
12.1. The number of this specification (485-38-03B).
12.2. The size of containers required.
12.3. The total quantity required.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047