Texas Specification No. 485-26-02C
Effective Date: August 30, 1985
Reformatted: February 5, 1996
CLEANER, TOILET BOWL, LIQUID
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a strongly acidic, liquid composition for use in cleaning toilet bowls.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 1280 - Standard Method for Total Immersion Corrosion Test for Soak Tank Cleaners.
2.1.2. ASTM E 224 - Standard Methods for Analysis of Hydrochloric Acid.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P. O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-04-03 - Hydrochloric Acid, Inhibited, 20 Degrees Baume'.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-91-01 - Surfactant, Amphoteric - Di (hydroxyethyl) tallow glycinate.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 485-08-01 - Bottles, polyethylene (with Screw Caps).
3.1. General Definitions: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Toilet bowl cleaner furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. General: The product shall be an opaque liquid having a milky appearance and consistency. It may optionally be colored with a suitable water-soluble dye. It shall not separate into layers of different composition when stored at ordinary temperatures for six (6) months from date of shipment.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be compounded from the following ingredients, in the percentage by weight (pbw) given below:
4.2.1. Hydrochloric acid, inhibited, complying with Texas Specification No 180-92-03: 30.0 ± 0.5 pbw.
4.2.2. Surfactant, amphoteric: 5.1 ± 0.1 pbw.
4.2.3. Opacifying latex (Styrene-acrylic copolymer type), 40% solids: 0.55 0.05 pbw.
4.2.4. Soft water to make up the remainder.
4.3. Titratable acid: Minimum content 9.4% as HC1, when tested by the method cited in Paragraph 6.
4.4. Corrosivity: When tested in accordance with Paragraph 6, the product shall show a corrosive effect on steel not more than one-tenth as great as hydrochloric acid conforming to Texas Specification No. 180-04-01A.
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Titratable Acidity: Determine by titration with standard sodium hydroxide to the phenolphthalein end point in accordance with ASTM E 224.
6.1.2. Corrosivity: Determine by the procedure of ASTM D 1280, with exception as follows:
18.104.22.168. Run a test in duplicate, immersing two identical mild steel coupons in a product sample held at 160 ± 2 °F for five (5) hours.
22.214.171.124. Repeat the above procedure, using two more of the coupons in a test solution prepared by diluting 30 g hydrochloric acid (Texas Specification No. 180-04-01) with 70 ml distilled water.
126.96.36.199. Divide the average weight loss of the coupons exposed to the product sample by the average weight loss found in the run with dilute HC1 and determine compliance with Paragraph 4.4.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. Packaging: The product shall be package in one (1) quart bottles complying with Texas Specification No. 485-08-01, packed twelve (12) to a shipping carton.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.15. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
9.2.1. Name and address of the manufacturer.
9.2.2. Trade name of the product, if any.
9.2.3. Net contents, U.S. liquid gallons (liters)
9.2.4. Directions for use, including precautions and first aid measures.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (485-26-02C).
11.2. The quantity desired, in case of twelve (12) quarts each
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: A toilet bowl cleaner conforming to this specification is especially suitable for regular use on plumbing fixtures made of solid vitreous porcelain. Because of the possibility of gradual corrosion, it is not recommended for cleaning either bare or porcelain coated iron and steel. When applied as directed on the label, it loosens and dissolves rust and limestone deposits, as well as organic soils adhering to the bowl.
Caution: As it contains a strong acid, the product should be handled with rubber gloves or equivalent hand protection. If accidentally splashed on the skin, the liquid should immediately be flushed off with plenty of running water. If any contact with the eyes occurs, flushing should be continued for at least fifteen (15) minutes, while medical attention is being obtained.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047