Texas Specification No. 485-13-01
Effective Date: September 1, 1984
Reformatted: February 5, 1996
CLEANER, HAND AND SKIN, NEUTRAL
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a mild detergent lotion intended primarily for use by institutional personnel whose duties require frequent handwashing.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 820 -- Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis for Soaps Containing Synthetic Detergents.
2.1.2. ASTM E 70 -- Standard Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-54-02A -- Foam Stabilizer - Coco Diethanolamide.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 775-63-01A -- Salt, Evaporated.
3.1. General Definitions: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Hand and skin cleaner furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
4.1. General: The product shall be an opaque, pearlescent white, moderately viscous liquid, readily dispensable from ordinary washroom or laboratory soap fixtures.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be a thoroughly blended mixture of ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications (where applicable), in the proportions given in Table 1, to a tolerance of ± 0.5% of the individual ingredient.
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 2, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|Requirement||Texas Specification No.||Parts|
| 1. Alpha-olefin sulfonate, 40% active
(chain length 14-16)
|2. Sodium N-cocoyl-N-methyltaurate, 24% active||--||8.0|
|3. Coco diethanolamide||180-54-02A||6.0|
|4. Glycol monstearate||--||2.0|
|5. Sodium Chloride||775-63-01A||2.0|
|6. Soft Water||--||60.0|
Additional small amounts of the following minor ingredients shall also be present:
7. Citric acid sufficient to adjust the pH to the required range.
8. An industrial perfume providing a pleasant fragrance such as almond.
|1. Matter volatile at 105 °C, percent by weight||--||79||6.1.|
|3. Volume of suds, ml||100||200||6.3.|
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Matter volatile at 105 °C: Determine by the procedure of ASTM D 820, Paragraphs 5 and 6.
6.1.2. pH: Determine by the procedure of ASTM E 70.
6.1.3. Volume of Suds: Weight a one gram sample to the nearest 10 mg into a 400 ml beaker, add 200 ml distilled water, and mix gently until uniform. Allow any foam produced by the mixing to subside. Fill a 250 ml glass stoppered cylinder to the 50 ml mark with the diluted sample. Stopper the cylinder and agitate the contents for one minute. This should be done i a controlled manner by smoothly rotating the cylinder to the inverted position and back again a total of thirty times. After a five minute waiting period, read the total volume at the top of the foam layer, and subtract the liquid level to get the volume of suds.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. Packaging: The product shall be packaged in one gallon plastic jugs, packed six to a carton.
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents.
9.1.2. Quantity contained.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
9.2. LABELING: Each product container shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following information:
9.2.1. Name of product, including trade name if any.
9.2.2. Net contents in U.S. gallons
9.2.3. Name and address of manufacturer.
9.2.4. Directions for use, including precautions and first aid measures.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification (485-13-01).
11.2. The size of containers and total quantity required.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Hand and skin cleanser conforming to this specification is non-irritating to the skin, even with frequent use. The ingredients include detergent which clean effectively at the pH range of the human skin, rather than the alkaline conditions required by solid or liquid soap.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047