Texas Specification No. 485-10-18B
Effective Date: February 1, 1995
Reformatted: March 4, 1996
BROOMS, CORN, WHISK
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a handle ring whisk broom made of broomcorn fiber.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONS, Superintendent of Documents, U.S.Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402:
2.1.1. H-B-010B -- Broom, Whisk.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Whisk brooms shall be classified by length: 11" overall length.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. All whisk brooms shall be new, unused, and a currently standard product of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Whisk brooms shall present a neat, well-finished appearance inside and outside and shall be free of all imperfections and/or defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2.1. Broomcorn: The broomcorn shall be free from seed both inside and outside. It shall be green or greenish-yellow in color. The inside (or handle corn) may be of ripe yellow fiber, free from defects, short spikes, or large stems.
5.2.2. Handles: Broom handles shall be hardwood or pine, and shall be 3/4" to 7/8" diameter, and wire wrapped.
5.2.3. Broom Wire: Broom wire shall be galvanized or tinned steel broom wire, minimum No. 18-1/2 American Wire Gauge, and shall be corrosion resistant.
5.2.4. Twine: Broom twine shall be uniformly spun. All broom twine shall have a breaking strength of not less than 40 pounds and shall be made of the following: 100% polyethylene fibers, 12 ply.
5.2.5. Ball Cap: The end cap shall be formed steel, attractively plated or coated for corrosion protection with a folding hanging ring.
5.3. Dimensions: Dimensions shall be as shown in Table 1:
|Weight per dozen, lb. min.||5.00|
|Neck Length, in. ± 1/2||2.00|
|Width at brush end, in.||5-6|
|Length, in.||11- 11-1/2|
|Distance from neck to first band, in., ± 1/4||2-1/2|
|Number of stitches in first band, min.||5.00|
|Number of stitches in last band, min.||6.00|
|Distance between sewed bands, in., ± 1/8||3/8|
5.4.1. General: All broomcorn shall be evened up to insure maximum seed fiber in the brush of the broom, and all shorts shall be removed prior to being wound on the handle.
5.4.2. Handle Corn: The handle corn shall be evenly distributed around the handle and shall be firmly held in place by a minimum of four turns of wire.
5.4.3. Shoulder Corn: The shoulders of the broom shall be made from two equal portions of broomcorn placed opposite each other on the handle, and firmly held in place by a minimum of four turns of wire.
5.4.4. Cutting Shoulders and Handle Corn: The shoulder corn and handle corn shall be cut and trimmed in the standard manner to produce a well shaped broom. The inside construction of the broom shall be symmetrical and well balanced.
5.4.5. Inside Hurl: The inside hurl shall be held in place by at least two full turns of wire, and shall be evenly distributed around the handle and firmly placed against the cut shoulders of the broom.
5.4.6. Outside Hurl: The outside hurl shall be evenly distributed over the inside hurl in sufficient quantity to thoroughly cover the inside hurl. The outside hurl shall be fitted firmly against the shoulders of the broom on top of the inside hurl and shall be held firmly in place by a band of not less than four turns of wire.
5.4.7. Finish: Whisk brooms shall be finished with a neck 2" long, consisting of two plain straw beads firmly bound with at least four turns of wire at the shoulder of the broom, two turns of wire at the center of the neck. After the second bead there shall be a run down of 20 turns of wire. The wire turns at the end of the neck shall be secured by a nail minimum 5/8" long.
5.4.8. Ball Cap: The end cap shall be attached to the handle with a nail at minimum 5/8" long. A hanging ring shall be firmly affixed to the top of the end cap.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All brushes shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/units at no cost to the State of Texas.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
10.1. Lots: Whisk brooms shall be packed in lots of one dozen.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.2. Quantity ordered.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. LABELING: Whisk brooms shall be labeled with the name or trademark of the manufacturer.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering a product conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency must specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification (485-10-18B).
14.2. Quantity required (in multiples of one dozen).
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047