Texas Specification No. 485-10-03A
Effective Date: May 28, 1991
Reformatted: March 1, 1996
BRUSHES, SCRUB, GONG POT
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for two classes of gong pot brushes suitable for cleaning difficult shapes and curved surfaces.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONS, Superintendent of Documents, U.S.Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402:
2.2.1. H-B-1490A -- Brushes, Scrub.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Gong pot brushes shall be classified by filler type and size as follows:
3.1. Brush Filler Type:
3.1.1. Class 1: White tampico fiber.
3.1.2. Class 2: Synthetic (polypropylene) filament.
3.2.1. Eight (8) inches overall length.
3.2.2. Twenty (20) inches overall length.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. All gong pot brushes shall be new, unused, and a currently standard product of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Brooms shall present a neat, well-finished appearance inside and outside and shall be free of all imperfections and/or defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. Blocks shall be fee of cracks, rough edges or corners.
5.1.4. The fiber or filament shall solidly fill the holes in the block and shall be securely staple set.
5.1.5. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2.1. Block: The block shall be structural foam or plastic.
5.2.2. Brush Filler:
184.108.40.206. Class 1: Resilient 100% new white tampico fiber.
220.127.116.11. Class 2: White nylon filament; deep crimp, 0.25" diameter.
5.2.3. Staples: Staples shall be composed of 18 gauge corrosion resistant steel (CRES) or treated carbon steel. the length of wire in the staple shall be 15/16".
5.3. Dimensions: Dimensions shall be as shown in Table 1:
|Width at brush head, in., ± 1/8||2-7/8|
|Thickness, in., ± 1/8||7/8|
|Length, in., ± 1/8||8 or 20|
|Holes: (for broom filler, min.)|
|Number of holes||56.00|
|Diameter of holes, in.||9/32|
|Length of tuft (clear of block) in., min.||1-7/8|
5.4.1. Brush: The surface of the brush shall be nearly equi-dimensional and shall have a curved front. The brush face shall be approximately 5" x 4-1/2".
5.4.2. Fibers: The fibers or filaments shall be uniformly trimmed to a flared rounded brush face. Individual strands of filler material shall resist removal.
5.4.3. Wire: The carbon steel staple wire shall show no evidence of corrosion.
5.4.4. Block: Blocks shall taper to the shaped handle, which shall be rounded and smooth, and have a hanging hole within 3/4" of the semi-beaver tailed end.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier. Testing shall be in accordance with ANSI / ARI 810, 815, and 820 and UL 563.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All brushes shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/units at no cost to the State of Texas.
10. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
10.1. Lots: Brushes shall be packed in lots of one dozen.
11. MARKING / LABELING:
11.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.2. Quantity ordered.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering a product conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency must specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification (485-10-03A).
14.2. Type (See Paragraph 3.1.).
14.3. Size (See Paragraph 3.1.).
14.4. Quantity of each type and size required (in multiples of one dozen).
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047