Texas Specification No. 483-53-01
Effective Date: November 1, 1991
Last Revision: April 29, 1996
PAGER, PERSONAL PORTABLE RADIO
(Selective Signal Radio Receiver)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for Personal Portable Radio Pagers (PPRP), designed to receive selective radio signals and alert the user with an audible tone, voice communications, digital display numbers or messages.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. ELECTRONIC INDUSTRIES ASSOCIATION (EIA), 1722 Eye Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20006:
2.1.1. EIA-204-C -- Minimum Standard for Land Mobile Communication FM or PM Receivers, 25-947 MHz.
2.1.2. EIA-316-B -- Minimum Standards for Portable/Personal Radio Transmitters, Receivers and Trnasmitter/Receiver Combination Land Mobile Communication FM or PM Equipment, 25-1000MHz.
2.1.3. EIA-374-A -- Land Mobile Signaling Standard.
2.2. FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (FCC), 1919 M Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20554:
2.2.1. Rules and Regulations - 47 CFR 90, Private Land Mobile Radio Services.
2.3. MILITARY SPECIFICATIONS (MIL), Naval Publications and Forms Center, 5801 Tabor Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19120, ATTN: "NCD105":
2.3.1. MIL-STD-801D -- Environmental Test Methods and Engineering Guidelines.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Pagers furnished under this specification shall be of the following types and models:
3.1. Frequency Band: Pagers shall be classified according to the frequency band in which they operate:
3.1.1. L: Low Band -- (30-50 MHz).
3.1.2. H: High Band -- (138-174 MHz).
3.1.3. U: UHF Band -- (406-512 MHz).
3.1.4. HU: High UHF Band -- (929-932 MHz).
3.2. Type: Pagers shall be classified by type according to the paging method used:
3.2.1. T: Tone only.
3.2.2. TV: Tone and Voice (radio pager).
3.2.3. ND: Numeric Display.
3.2.4. AND: Alpha Numeric Display.
3.2.5. ANS: Alpha Numeric Scanning (nationwide-network).
3.2.6. ANV: Alpha Numeric Voice.
3.2.7. V: Voice storage.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4.2. Paging: A one-way communications service from a base station to mobile or fixed receivers that provide signaling or information transfer by such means as tone, tone-voice, tactile, optical read-out, etc.
4.3. Golay Sequential Code (GSC): A digital coding language which utilized voice and data transmissions on the same frequency.
4.4. Post Office Code Standard Advisory Group (POCSAG): A digital coding format.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Personal Portable Radio Pagers (PPRP) furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. Equipment and accessories shall be new, unused, currently standard products of an established manufacturer, except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Units shall be free of rust, corrosion, scratches, dents, or other defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. All components shall meet or exceed industry standards.
5.1.4. Parts and components not specifically mentioned in this specification, but which are required to provide a complete operating unit or which are standard fro the model bid, shall be included as part of the equipment furnished.
5.1.5. All equipment shall be delivered completely assembled, fully aligned, adjusted, serviced, and ready for immediate installation and use.
5.2.1. All equipment shall comply with all applicable Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requirements.
5.3. Design Requirements: All pagers shall be compact, solid state frequency modulation (FM) receivers designed to monitor an assigned paging channel and alert the user when an appropriate signal is received.
5.3.1. Operating Frequency: The operating frequency shall be as specified in the Invitation for Bids.
5.3.2. Signaling Format: The pager system signaling format shall be either two-tone sequential, five-tone, GSC, or POCSAG, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids.
5.3.3. Format: For two-tone sequential, the format shall be EIA standard tones, i.e. Motorola, G.E., Reachtones, or as specified in the Invitation for Bids.
5.3.4. Call Tones: For two-tone sequential, the pager's signaling tone frequencies or call number shall be as specified in the Invitation for Bids.
5.3.5. Power Supply: Pagers shall be furnished with either alkaline batteries, rechargeable nickel-cadmium batteries (except for numeric), whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids. (See Option 5.7.6.).
5.3.6. Operating Environment: Pagers shall be designed to operate throughout an ambient temperature range of -10 °C to +50 °C (+14 °F to +122 °F) with no degradation in performance.
5.3.7. Programmable: Digital display pagers' cap codes (call numbers) shall be programmable by use of an EE-PROM chip.
5.4. Physical Requirements:
5.4.1. Housing: The chassis shall be a heavy duty type. The receiver housing shall be impact resistant, lightweight, dust and weather resistant case. The pager shall have a spring clip that attaches to a belt or a pocket, unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids.
5.4.2. Controls: Controls shall include all that are necessary to control the functions of the paging receiver. They shall include, as a minimum:
184.108.40.206. Variable volume control for alert tone and voice for TV models.
220.127.116.11. Manual reset.
18.104.22.168. On/off switch for illumination of Alpha and digital display pagers. (See Paragraph 5.7.12.).
5.4.3. Size and Weight: Pagers shall not exceed the following size and weight limitations:
22.214.171.124. Maximum Size: 9.5 cubic inches (less spring clip).
126.96.36.199. Maximum Weight: 6.5 ounces (with battery).
5.4.4. Operation: Pagers shall be designed for one-handed operation.
5.4.5. Display: Display pagers shall have backlighting for the display screen.
5.5. Operational Requirements: Pagers shall provide continuous monitoring of the assigned paging channel. When a paging signal is received, the pager shall alert the user by the method of the type specified in the Invitation for Bids. (See Paragraph 3.2.).
5.5.1. Pagers shall have a low battery indicator.
5.5.2. Digital display pagers shall be capable of receiving a minimum of five (5) message containing a minimum of 10 characters before deleting the oldest message.
5.5.3. Alpha display pagers shall be capable of receiving a minimum of 16 messages containing 80 characters per message (or equivalent total) before deleting the oldest message.
5.5.4. Display pager shall have lighted message display.
5.6. Performance Requirements: Pagers shall meet or exceed the minimum performance requirements specified in Table 1.
|High VHF (138-174 MHz)||UHF
|High UHF (929-932 MHz)|
|Selectivity||60 dB||60 dB||60 dB||70 dB|
| Paging field strength sensitivity
(in test fixture)
|7 uV/m||7 uV/m||15 uV/m||15 uV/m|
|Spurious and image rejection||40 dB||50 dB||40 dB||40 dB|
|Frequency stability|| ± 0.0020%
| ± 0.0020%
| ± 0.0005%
| ± 0.0005%
Alert tone and Audio @ 30 cm
|75 dB SPL||75 dB SPL||75 dB SPL||83 dB SPL|
5.7. Options: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, pagers shall be furnished with one or more of the following options:
5.7.1. Earphone (TV).
5.7.2. Lapel Speaker (TV).
5.7.3. Leather Carrying Case (holster with belt loop).
5.7.4. Spare belt clip/detachable belt clip.
5.7.5. Group Call: The pager shall permit both group call paging and individual call paging (not available on 5/6 tone).
5.7.6. Single Unit Battery Charger.
5.7.7. Vibrator Alert.
5.7.8. Visual Alert.
5.7.9. Locking monitor switch for continuous monitoring.
5.7.10. Multiple channel capability (State number desired).
5.7.11. Heavy Duty: the pager shall meet the requirements of MIL-STD-810D.
5.7.12. Large LCD Screen with automatic dim light illumination.
5.7.13. Message Save Capacity: Display pagers shall have the ability to protect three (3) messages from being deleted from message memory while pager is in the operating position, or have a minimum of 12 message capability.
5.8. Lease Option: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the vendor shall supply monthly leasing costs, and/or lease purchase costs to the agency. The agency shall specify the range of miles required.
5.9. Special Requirements: Special requirements, if any, not contained in this specification, shall be described in detail by the ordering agency in the Invitation for Bids.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All equipment, parts (except batteries), and accessories furnished under this specification shall be guaranteed to perform according to the manufacturer's specifications and against defects and/or failure in design, materials, and workmanship for a minimum of one year. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components/units at no cost to the State.
10. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE: Factory authorized service shall be available within the State of Texas, or within a ten (10) day turnaround program. The bidder shall submit the customer service phone number if available.
10.1. Service: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the bidder shall submit a current list of companies or individuals, and their addresses, who stock repair parts and who can perform service on the equipment furnished.
10.2. Parts: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, an adequate supply of repair parts shall be carried in stock within the State of Texas for the expected life of all equipment furnished under this specification.
11. INSTRUCTION BOOKS/MANUAL: The supplier shall furnish a copy of operating instructions. When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, maintenance manuals for each different model, size, and type of equipment shall be furnished to each destination. An address for reordering manuals shall also be included.
12. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce and as specified in the Invitation for Bids. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
13. MARKING / LABELING:
13.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
13.1.1. Name of contents.
13.1.2. Quantity ordered.
13.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
13.1.4. Order number or contract number.
13.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
13.1.6. Agency requisition number.
13.2. LABELING: Each pager shall bear a securely affixed and durable label on the outside of the case, with the following information:
13.2.1. Manufacturer's name or recognized trademark.
13.2.2. Model number.
13.2.3. Serial number.
13.2.4. FCC identification number.
14. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
15. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following conditions:
15.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
15.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
15.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
16. ORDERING DATA: When ordering a product conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency must specify the following:
16.1. The number of this specification (483-53-01)
16.2. The frequency band of the pager (See Paragraph 3.1.).
16.3. The type (s) of pager (See Paragraph 3.2.).
16.4. The operating frequency (See Paragraph 5.3.1.).
16.5. The system signaling format (See Paragraph 5.3.2.).
16.6. The Two-tone sequential signal format (See Paragraph 5.3.3.).
16.7. The Two-tone sequential call tones (See Paragraph 5.3.4.).
16.8. The type of batteries (See Paragraph 5.3.5.).
16.9. If other than Belt or Pocket attachment is required (See Paragraph 5.4.1.).
16.10. Options required (See Paragraph 5.7.).
16.11. Leasing requirements, if any (See Paragraph 5.8.).
16.12. Special requirements, if any (See Paragraph 5.9.).
16.13. Service and Parts List, if required (See Paragraph 10.).
16.14. Maintenance Manuals, if required (See Paragraph 11.).
16.15. The quantity of pagers of each type.
17. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047