Texas Specification No. 475-64-02
Effective Date: January 20, 1995
Reformatted Date: July 10, 1996
INCONTINENT TWO-PIECE SYSTEMS
(Pad and Pant)
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes requirements for two (2) grades of incontinent two-piece system (pad and pant). Pants shall be re-usable; pads shall be disposable.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards, and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be ordered from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. FEDERAL DOCUMENTS: Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402:
2.1.1. Code of Federal Regulations -- 16 CFR 1609: Flammable Fabrics Act.
2.1.2. Code of Federal Regulations -- 16 CFR 1611: Standard for the Flammability of Vinyl Plastic Film.
2.2. NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION (NFPA), One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02269:
2.2.1. NFPA 701 -- Methods of Fire Tests for Flame-Resistant Textiles and Films.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Pad and pant shall be classified by type, shape, grade and absorbency as follows:
3.1. Type Pad: (Capacity)
3.2.1. Pad Overall Width: 4--15 inches.
3.2.2. Length: 14--30 inches.
3.3. Shape: Contoured.
3.4.1. High Performance.
3.5. Absorbency (Rewet):
3.5.1. High Performance: Pad rewet limit is 1.0 grams maximum. (See Attachment No. One.).
3.5.2. Standard: Pad rewet limit is 5.0 grams maximum (See Attachment No. One.).
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with the meanings that have been defined through general use, and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4.2. SAP: Super Absorbent Polymer which does not gel or react too quickly (dwell time) to moisture.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. All pads and pants shall be new, unused, and a currently standard product of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Pads and pants shall present a neat, well finished appearance and shall be free of all imperfections and/or defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. Pads and pants shall be "first" commercial grade, clean, and free from tears or holes.
5.1.4. Pads shall be offered in three sizes and absorbencies and shall be hour-glass shaped to provide contouring in the leg area for better fit and leakage protection. Pads shall be held snugly against the body by pants.
5.1.5. The pad absorbent core shall consist of cellulose fibers and absorbent polymer, and shall be contoured for better fit between the legs.
5.1.6. The pad back sheet shall be moisture impervious matte-embossed, polyethylene film.
5.1.7. The pad top sheet shall be made of apertured polyethylene film, polypropylene, or polyester to resist moisture return to the skin.
5.1.8. The pads may have an adhesive tape on the backside, postiioned for attachment to the pants. The pad's adhesive strip may extend along the length of the backside of the pad.
Note: Adhesive strips shall not be required for larger two-piece pads if the pad's design holds the pant close to the boy without appreciable movement.
5.1.9. Adhesive used in constructing the pads should be water-insoluble and should form a continuous seal against leakage at the sides and ends of the absorbent core.
5.1.10. Each material component of the brief should be bonded to the adjacent component to enhance strength and prevent shifting of the absorbent core.
5.1.11. Pants shall be re-usable.
5.1.12. Pants shall color coded and pads shall be labeled or coded for ease of identification.
5.1.13. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2. Flammability Requirements: The brief shall meet the applicable flammability requirements of 16 CFR Parts 1609 and 1611, and NFPA 701.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of the testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Certification: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the vendor shall provide technical data sheets from the manufacturer, material safety data (use OSHA from), and laboratory test.
6.2. Method: The products furnished under this specification shall be tested by the Rewet test method (See Attachment No. One.).
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification will be inspected by, or at the direction of, the commission and/or the ordering state agency either at the destination or place of manufacturer.
9. SERVICE: The vendor shall provide on-site training to agency staff on proper product usage and control measures.
9.1. Formal Training: This will include formal, classroom training. To be scheduled with the ordering agency at implementation of the system if requested.
9.2. Visits: On-site visits shall be provided to ordering agencies to trouble-shoot problems and in-service new staff on product usage. Informal visits shall occur at the request of the user agency.
10. PACKING and/or PACKAGING: Packaging for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
11. MARKING and/or LABELING:
11.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. Labeling: Each produce container shall have a securely affixed and durable label.
12. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
12.1. Equipment Identification: The make, model number, name of manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc. as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
12.2. Exceptions: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
12.3. Proof: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
13. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Incontinent two-piece system (pad and pant) are for use in managing severe incontinence for either in-bed or ambulatory residents.
14. REFERENCED MANUFACTURERS: The following manufacturers are listed for reference purposes only. Such references are not meant to be restrictive. Listing does not relieve the manufacturer and/or vendor from meeting each requirement of this specification.
14.1. Inbrand -- Primetime, Maxicare.
14.2. Hospital Specialty -- At Ease.
14.3. Principle Business enterprises -- Tranquillity.
14.4. Proctor & Gamble -- Attends.
14.5. Professional Medical Products -- Wings.
14.6. Scott Health Care -- Promise.
14.7. Whitestone -- Ultrashield.
15. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
15.1. The number of this specification (475-64-02).
15.2. Quantity, size and grade required (See Paragraph 3.).
16. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by writing or calling:
ATTACHMENT No. ONE
REQUIRED REWET TEST FOR BRIEFS
This test requires a section of a pad to accept and store moisture under simulated in-use conditions of loading and pressure, and then measures the amount of wetness returned to the surface through the liner; thus the name "rewet".
1. A 5" x 5" section of a pad is obtained by cutting through the cross-section of the pad at the crotch and taking a whole pad section, including back sheet and liner.
2. The section is place on a 5" x 5" plastic base plate and 50 ml of synthetic urine solution or 1% saline solution are introduced into the center of the section via a dropping funnel which is positioned approximately 1" above the surface of the section. Synthetic urine (not water) should always be used because water does not give true results for products containing absorbent polymers. A volume of 50 ml in a 5" x 5" section simulates a heavy urine loading on a whole pad basis.
3. A 4-1/2" X 4-1/2", 20.25 lb padded weight (1 psi) is placed (centered) on the section for 3 minutes. This simulates the body weight pressure that helps distribute moisture throughout the absorbent material in real life.
4. After 3 minutes the weight is removed and a pre-weighted moisture pick-up pad consisting of three sheets of absorbent filter paper cut to 4" x 4" size is centered on the surface of the section and the weight (its bottom having be wiped dry) is reapplied for 2 minutes. The filter paper represents the wearer's skin which receives moisture returned from within the pad through the liner. The 5" x 5" sample, 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" weight and 4" x 4" pick-up pad are so designed to prevent synthetic urine from returning to the surface from around the edges of the sample.
5. After 2 minutes the weight is removed and the pick-up pad is weighed.
6. The test result is expressed as "grams of rewet", which is calculated by subtracting the dry weight of the pick-up pad from the wet weight.
7. Repeat this procedure on five different samples and tack the average. Report this number as the test result in grams.
8. Rewet limit for High Performance briefs shall be 1.0 gram maximum and for Standard, 5.0 grams maximum for all sizes and weights of briefs.
Note: Synthetic urine shall consist of a commercial formulation as shown below.
Synthetic Urine Formula
|Compound||Formula Weight||Concentration (grams/liter)|
May be purchased as Catalog No. 133 or 134 from Endovations Co., 5020 Ritter Rd. Mechanicsburg, PA 17055