Texas Specification No. 425-40-03E
Effective Date: June 22, 1990
Reformatted Date: June 28, 1996
FILING CABINETS, STEEL, VERTICAL, LETTER SIZE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for vertical, rigid front, full suspension steel filing cabinets designed for general filing of material under condition of medium to heavy use.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards, test methods, and other documents shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (ANSI), 1430 Broadway, New York, NY 10018:
2.1.1. ANSI/BIFMA X5.3-89 -- Office Furnishings, Vertical Files, Tests.
2.1.2. ANSI Z 34.2-87 -- Self Certification by Producer or Supplier.
2.2. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.2.1. ASTM B-117 -- Method of Salt Spray (Fog) Testing.
2.2.2. ASTM D-522 -- Test Method for Elongation of Attached Organic Coatings With Conical Mandrel Apparatus.
2.2.3. ASTM D-523 -- Test Method for Specular Gloss.
2.2.4. ASTM D-2247 -- Practice for Testing Water Resistance of Coating in 100% Relative Humidity.
2.2.5. ASTM D-2794 -- Test Method for Resistance of Organic Coatings on the Effects of Rapid Deformation (Impact).
2.2.6. ASTM D-3359 -- Method for Measuring Adhesion by Tape Test.
2.2.7. ASTM D-3363 -- Test Method for Film Hardness by Pencil Test.
2.2.8. ASTM D-4060 -- Test Method for Abrasion Resistance of Organic Coatings by the Tabor Abrasive.
2.2.9. ASTM G-23 -- Practice for Operating Light-and-Water-Exposure Apparatus (Carbon-Arc Type).
2.3. IRON AND STEEL SOCIETY (ISS), 410 Commonwealth Drive, Warren Cole, PA 19103:
2.3.1. Sheet Steel Manual.
2.4. FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONS, Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402:
2.4.1. A-A-704D -- File Cabinets, Vertical, Steel.
2.4.2. TT-C-490C -- Cleaning Methods for Ferrous Surfaces and Pretreatment for Organic Coatings.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Vertical filing cabinets shall be classified by type and size as follows:
3.1.1. Two Drawer.
3.1.2. Three Drawer.
3.1.3. Four Drawer.
3.1.4. Five Drawer.
3.1.5. Eight Drawer. (Six inch (6") half height).
3.1.6. Ten Drawer. (Six inch (6") half height).
3.2.1. Letter (nominal fifteen inch (15") width and twenty-eight inch (28") depth).
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use, industry standards, and accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Normal Use: Use which can be expected in a general office setting operating on a standard forty (40) hour work week.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. Cabinets furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the requirements of Federal Specifications A-A-704 and TT-C-490, and ANSI/BIFMA X5.3.
5.1.2. Cabinets shall be new, unused, currently standard products of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.3. Cabinets shall be free of all imperfections, defects, and hazards which might affect appearance, normal life, serviceability, or user safety.
5.1.4. Details not specifically defined herein shall be in accordance with the best commercial practice for products of this type.
5.1.5. Cabinets shall be constructed to withstand the strains, vibrations and other conditions incidental to shipping, storage, and service.
5.1.6. There shall be no exposed raw metal edges.
5.1.7. All hardware shall be corrosion resistant.
5.1.8. All components not specifically mentioned, that are necessary for the units to be complete and ready for use shall be furnished.
5.2.1. All welding, riveting, and bracing shall assure rigid joints in proper alignment, and adequate strength.
5.2.2. Welds shall be sound and without porosity. Exterior welds shall be smooth. Interior welds shall be finished to eliminate sharp edges or rough surfaces.
5.2.3. The back shall be securely welded to the sides to form a complete jacket.
5.2.4. The file cabinet shall not deviate from a true vertical state (titling).
5.3. Materials: The materials used in the construction of vertical filing cabinets shall conform to the requirements stated herein. When not specified, they shall be of the quality used in good commercial practice.
5.3.1. Steel: The steel sheet used in fabrication of cabinets, drawers, and shelves shall be "commercial quality", cold rolled steel. Steel sheet used for all exposed parts shall have a "stretcher leveled standard of flatness" as defined in the applicable section of the Steel Products Manual.
The thickness of steel to be used for individual parts shall be as specified herein and are the minimum thicknesses permitted subject to the tolerances given in the Steel Products Manual. The steel sheet used shall be smooth, free of rust, scale, pits, scratches, laps, crimps, and buckles.
5.3.2. Hardware: The material for cabinet, drawer, and shelf face hardware shall be Type 302 corrosion resistant steel, anodized aluminum, chromium plated aluminum, chromium plated die-cast zinc alloy, brass, or bronze.
Hardware, bolts, nuts, screws and accessories located elsewhere in the cabinet shall be corrosion resistant.
Face hardware shall be polished or satin finish, whichever is manufacturer's standard. It shall be free of sharp edges and burrs.
5.4. Finish: All metal surfaces to be painted shall be thoroughly cleaned and free from dirt, oil, grease, and moisture.
The cleaning and priming of the surfaces shall conform to one of the methods of Federal Specification TT-C-490, at the manufacturer's option.
5.4.1. Enamel: The finish coat shall be enamel, applied and baked in accordance with the enamel manufacturer's recommendations. the enamel shall be a true baking enamel. air drying enamels, whose drying time is shortened by the application of heat or infrared rays will not be acceptable. The finish shall produce a smooth, uniform exposed surface without runs, wrinkles, grits, areas of thin film or no film, and separation of color. (See Paragraph 9.1.).
5.4.2. Color: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the color of finish shall be one of the following:
|Color Name||Color Code Number|
The above colors shall match those shown in the Texas Color Charts for Steel Furniture.
Note: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the manufacturer's full range or standard colors shall be acceptable. The bidders shall provide a cross reference chart identifying the color name and number with the Texas Color Chart. Colors equivalent to other major manufacturer's shall also be noted on a cross reference sheet.
5.4.3. Gloss: all finished colors for steel vertical filing cabinets shall have a minimum specular gloss rating of forty (40) at a sixty degree (60 °) angle when tested in accordance with ASTM D-523.
5.5. Cabinet: The cabinet case shall be manufactured of not less than twenty-two (22) gauge steel, be rigidly formed, braced, reinforced and welded to withstand heavy use without warping, twisting or distortion which impairs operation.
5.5.1. Top cap shall fit flush with sides of cabinet. Side panels shall be flush at top and bottom.
5.5.2. The top shall extend no more than one-fourth inch (1/4") beyond the front at the case.
5.5.3. The bottom and interior of the cabinet shall be adequately protected against rust.
5.6. Drawers: Each drawer shall contact rubber or polyplastic bumpers or a neoprene claw when fully closed, and shall be equipped with a durable, easy operating follower block (compressor), heavy duty holders, and band holes in the back. All drawers shall accept hanging folder frames (except six inch (6") drawers).
5.6.1. Drawer Suspensions: Drawer shall be of the heavy duty progressive sidearm type, or progressive cradle type, and be fully extendible. Free rollers, solid rolling rollers, balls or fixed journal rollers of the ball bering or floating type shall be used to support the suspensions and the drawers. All moving parts shall be permanently lubricated.
5.6.2. Lock: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, each filing cabinet shall be furnished with a built-in lock. The locks shall be the paracentric key type or equivalent. Two (2) keys shall be furnished.
5.6.3. Pulls: The drawer pulls shall be securely affixed and shall be the replaceable type.
5.6.4. Card Tray: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, two (2) compartment card drawers may be substituted for one letter drawer. The agency shall specify the tray size:
220.127.116.11. Five inches by three inches (5" x 3");
18.104.22.168. Six inches by four inches (6" x 4");
22.214.171.124. Eight inches by five inches (8" x 5"); or
126.96.36.199. Special Size.
5.7. Dimensions: all file cabinets shall be a nominal twenty-eight inches (28") deep with the height and width being the manufacturer's standard for the type and size ordered.
5.8. Options: Options shall be as specified in Paragraphs 5.4.2., 5.6.2. and 5.6.4. (color, locks, and card drawers).
5.9. Vendor Requirements: Bidder shall be responsible for completion of bid response (See Paragraph 14.1.), test certification (See Paragraphs 6 and 14.2.) and color reference sheets, if applicable (See Paragraph 5.4.2.).
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Texas Procurement and Support Services and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of the testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Tests: The products furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures: (Certification is required.)
6.1.1. ANSI/BIFMA X5.3.
6.1.2. Table One (1).
6.2. Certification: The vendor shall submit certified laboratory test results to the Commission with the bid. (See Attachment No. One.)
|Specular Gloss||ASTM D-523, glossmeter geometry of 60 °||40-60 (high gloss)|
|Colorfastness to Light||ASTM G-23, Method 3, carbon-arc lamp 120 hours exposure||Maximum 20 AATCC units fading. No chalking, significant yellowing, etc.|
|Hardness||ASTM D-3363, Use Eagle Turquoise T2375 or Eberherd Faber Microtomic pencil leads.||"H" hardness, minimum.|
|Adhesion||ASTM D-3359, Method B.||4B: 5% maximum adhesion loss.|
|Abrasion||ASTM D-4060, Taber Abraser CS-10, 1000 gram load.||Maximum 40 mg/50 cycles weight loss.|
|Deformation||ASTM D-2794, Indirect||30 in-lbs., minimum at impact failure end point.|
|Elongation of Coatings||ASTM D-522, conical Mandrel Test.||No severe cracking.|
|Water Resistance||ASTM D-2247, 100% relative humidity.||200 hours exposure with no evidence of water related failure of the coating.|
|Corrosion||ASTM B-117, salt spray.||72 hours exposure. No corrosion.|
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples will be required. Testing shall be performed on samples taken from regular orders (See Paragraph 14.3.).
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the discretion of the Texas Procurement and Support Services and/or the ordering State agency either at destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All cabinets shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one (1) year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components and/or units at no cost to the State of Texas.
9.1. Finish: For cabinets having any areas of thinness and/or separation of color (allowable only on inside of drawer heads and cabinet bottoms), the manufacturer must provide a minimum five (5) year warranty.
10. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE AND PARTS:
10.1. Service: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the bidder shall submit a list of companies or individuals, and their addresses, who stock repair parts and who can perform service on the equipment furnished.
10.2. Parts: A adequate supply of repair parts shall be readily available for the expected life of all products furnished under this specification.
11. INSTRUCTION MANUAL: The vendor shall furnish the ordering agency with one (1) copy of operating and maintenance instructions for each product delivered. The materials furnished shall include instructions for cleaning and protecting the exterior finish.
12. PACKING AND/OR PACKAGING: Packing shall be in accordance with recognized industry practices in a manner readily acceptable by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damages during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
12.1. Delivery: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, delivery shall be by one of the following:
12.1.1. Agency receiving dock.
12.1.2. Inside delivery, non-installed.
12.1.3. Inside delivery, installed.
13. MARKING AND/OR LABELING:
13.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
13.1.1. Name of contents.
13.1.2. Order number or contract number.
13.1.3. Name and address of ordering agency.
13.1.4. Agency requisition number.
13.1.5. Name and address of the manufacturer.
13.1.6. Quantity contained.
13.2. Labeling: Each product shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
13.2.1. Manufacturer's name.
13.2.2. Manufacturer's trademark.
13.3. Caution Labeling: Caution labels containing operation and safety instructions may be affixed directly to lateral files at the option of the manufacturer. The manufacturer shall provide safety instructions which include, but are not limited to:
13.3.1. Cabinet leveling procedures.
13.3.2. Loading techniques.
13.3.3. Recommendation for weight distribution.
13.3.4. General safety precautions.
14. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
14.1. Bid Response: Bidders shall provide a line item by line item written answer to all technical specifications of Paragraph 4. Failure to submit a line answer at time of bid opening will result in disqualification of the bid.
14.2. Certification: Bidders shall provide testing lab certification that the files meet the requirements of Paragraph 6. and ANSI/BIRMA X5.3. Failure to submit certification at time of bid opening will result in disqualification of the bid.
14.3. Bid Samples: The manufacturer and/or vendor shall provide samples within ten (10) days of request. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of the bid.
15. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
15.1. Product Identification: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
15.2. Exceptions: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
15.3. Proof: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
16. REFERENCED MANUFACTURERS: The following manufacturers are listed for reference purposes only. Such references are not meant to be restrictive. Listing dose not relieve the manufacturer and/or vendor from meeting each requirement of this specification.
16.1. Manufacturers: All Steel, Burroughs, GF, Invincible, Office Specialty, Shaw Walker, Steel Case, StorWal.
17. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
17.1. The number of this specification (425-40-03E).
17.2. The type of file cabinet (See Paragraph 3.1.)
17.3. The size (letter).
17.4. The color (See Paragraph 5.4.2.).
17.5. Options (See Paragraph 5.8.).
17.6. Service (See Paragraph 10.1.).
17.7. Delivery (See Paragraph 12.1.).
17.8. Quantity required of each model.
18. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047
ATTACHMENT ONE (1)
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE
To: Purchaser "N"
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P. O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047
By my signature below, I hereby certify:
1. that I an officer of my company and am authorized to make this certification;
2. that the information contained herein is true and correct and is provided in accordance with ANSI standard Z 34.2: Self Certification by Producer or Supplier;
3. that records verifying the information contained herein will be made available, upon request, to the Texas Procurement and Support Services of the State of Texas in accordance with the provisions of ANSI Standard Z34.2;
4. that this certification is for the following product manufactured by my company:
Model No: _______________ Description: _______________
5. that the product identified above meets or exceeds all requirements of the following Texas Specification No. 425-40-03E, Filing Cabinets,Steel, Vertical.
6. that the product identified above meets or exceeds all applicable requirements of the following documents as determined by our own testing program or the test results of an independent testing laboratory.
|Document||Most Recent Test Date||Testing Organization|