Texas Specification No. 420-68-06A
Effective Date: June 24, 1991
Last Revision: June 28, 1996
MATTRESS, COTTON, FLAME RETARDANT
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for flame retardant cotton felt mattresses with vinyl laminated, waterproof ticking. Reference Texas Specification No. 850-84-03A for ticking.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards, test methods, and other documents shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a art of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. Federal Documents: Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402:
2.1.1. V-T-285 -- Thread, Polyester.
2.1.2. V-T-295 -- Thread, Nylon.
2.1.3. FED-STD-191A/5903 -- Flame Resistance of Cloth, Vertical.
2.1.4. Code of Federal Regulations -- 16 CFR 303: Rules and Regulations under the Textile Products Identification Act.
2.1.5. Code of Federal Regulations -- 16 CFR 1632: Standard for the Flammability of Mattresses and Mattress Pads (FF 4-72).
2.2. Federal Regulations: U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Marketing Service, Cotton Division, Washington, DC 20250:
2.2.1. CN Regulation No. 180.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Mattresses shall be classified by size and weight as follows:
3.1.1. Dimensions: Twenty-four to Twenty-six inches wide by seventy to seventy-six inches long (24--26" wide by 70--76" long).
3.1.2. Thickness: Four to five inches (4--5").
3.2. Weight: Twenty-five pounds (25 lbs.) minimum, cotton weight.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.2. Ticking: Fabric used for covering box springs, mattresses, and pillows.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. All mattresses shall be new, unused, and a currently standard product of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Mattresses shall present a neat, well finished appearance inside and outside and shall be free of all imperfections and/or defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. The ticking shall not show evidence of holes, tears, loose yarns, spots or odor.
5.1.4. Stitching shall not pucker or have open seams, loose or untrimmed ends.
5.1.5. The surface shall not sag, or have lumps or hollow places.
5.1.6. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2.1. Filling: The filling shall be new garnetted cotton felt made of seventy-five percent (75%) cotton linters not lower than Grade 3, Staple 3 and twenty-five percent (25%) high grade white cotton pickers as described in CN 180. The cotton shall be treated with minimum eight percent (8%), by weight, boric acid powder, technical grade while being garnetted to provide flame retardancy. The cotton felt shall be unbroken laminated sheets and shall be distributed in layers of equal weight.
5.2.2. Inner-liner: The fabric shall meet the requirements of Texas Specification No. 850-74-01A.
5.2.3. Ticking: The ticking shall meet the requirements of Texas Specification No. 850-84-03A.
5.2.4. Thread: The thread shall be polyester or nylon and shall not affect the flammability characteristics of the mattress when tested in accordance with FF 4-72 and FED-STD-191A.
5.3.1. Core: The unbroken sheets of garnetted felt shall be placed inside an inner-liner by means of a filling machine to insure uniform distribution of the felt. The weight of the felt shall be not less than twenty-five pounds (25 lbs.) per mattress.
5.3.2. Cover: The inner-liner cover shall be formed by in-seam stitching, by machine, of two (2) panels. This seam shall extend down both sides and one (1) end of the cover leaving one (1) end of the cover open for insertion of cotton felt. After insertion of the felt the remaining inner-liner cover shall be closed by machine stitching with outside seaming along the midway point and the end and for a maximum of six inches (6") around each side of the mattress.
The inner-liner shall be tufted, minimum of eight (8) tufts, with a flame retardant twine to a uniform thickness to insure that felt does not shift or become lumpy inside the inner-liner cover. The inner-liner, after being filled with felt and tufted shall be three inches (3") longer than the outer cover.
5.3.3. Ticking Envelope: The outer cover shall be constructed using the same procedure as described above with the exception of the length. The outer cover shall be filled with the inner-liner and closed in the same manner as the inner-liner.
5.4. Flammability Requirements: Mattresses shall conform to FF 4-72, issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, including all requirements for testing, record keeping, labeling, and guarantees. Ticking shall be tested by FED-STD-191A/5903.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction or the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All mattresses shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one (1) year. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components and/or units at no cost to the State of Texas.
10. PACKING and/or PACKAGING: Packaging for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice an in a manner readily accepted by common carrier engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
11. MARKING and/or LABELING:
11.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
11.1.1. Name of contents.
11.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping document shall include:
11.1.4. Order number or contract number.
11.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
11.1.6. Agency requisition number.
11.2. Labeling: Each mattress shall be labeled in accordance with the following:
11.2.1. A label shall be sewn on each mattress, marked to conform to the legal requirements of the state in which the mattress is manufactured.
11.2.2. Each mattress shall have a label bearing the name of the manufacturer.
11.2.3. Each mattress shall be labeled in accordance with the requirements of FF 4-72 and the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act.
12. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a description of the products being offered.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification (420-68-06A).
14.2. Width and Length (See Paragraph 3.1.1.).
14.3. The quantity of mattresses of each size required.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047